Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Giveaway Week 26 Jul 17th - 24th

I've helped my oldest granddaughter to learn to sew. Been thinking I should have the oldest grandson come over to make something.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, both sons and my daughter, besides some nieces and several young 4-Her's.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

My first granddaughter and I made her Easter dresses annually. Then I began quilting and she wanted to learn. She picked out some scraps, cut them up and sewed them together to make her first quilt. She is now 24 and too old to play with Grandma. I still have a 6 year old granddaughter who loves to help in the sewing room. She claims the task of picking up my "pokies" (her description of the pins I drop on the floor.) Of course, I always accommodate her, making sure she has pins to collect and put back in the pin cushion. Only one other GDD but she is not interested in sewing. Alas.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I taught my daughter to sew. When she was around 7, she asked to go to a quilting class nearby. She made several projects, then made a twin sized quilt for her bed! She as so proud of her accomplishments and, of course, I have kept them all.
    I also have the first quilt I made with my Nana's help. I am looking forward to having a grand daughter to continue the sewing and quilting legacy.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've been teaching my daughter (and sometimes son) to sew since she was in Kindergarten. Now that she is older (9), our house has become the neighborhood hangout. The girls come down frequently to work on projects and occasionally request special things. The latest project we learned included ruffling! Here is a picture of two of them with their big finish, aprons for their "big sisters bakery"! My daughter is almost done with her first "Falling Charms" quilt. I'm so proud of her. Cheers to passing on a passion.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	114366

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I lit the fire under my cousin's daughter. She asked for a sewing machine and lessons on the way home.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just spent last week teaching my 13 and 16 year old granddaughters to sew - each one on a machine at opposite ends of my dining room table. It was great!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, not yet as they are too young. However, they have taught me a thing or 2. Like the time I had my foot pedal hooked up and was sewing and my 1 year old daughter decided to copy cat me and put her foot on the pedal while I was sewing. I took my foot off the pedal not knowing she had her foot on and wowsa that was a great needle race finding the finish line, scared me half to death, got the adrenaline rush and a fast heartbeat that day. She made me feel intensely alive for doing such a simple task! Full throttle is her personality, so I wonder how that will help on home economics class with Mommy teaching her when she is a little older. I bet it will be another class Mommy learns a lot!

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had that joy...YET! I'm waiting for my youngest granddaughter, who lives only 5 minutes from us now that they moved out of our home about 3 weeks ago to get a bit older. I already have her hooked on fabric. When new fabrics would come in the mail, she would get SO excited. I'd let her pull it out of the package and she'd yell FABIC! YAY! FABIC. It was adorable. She's only 3 yrs old now so she's not quite ready for the machine yet. I will though and cannot wait.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Can't believe I won! I've not gotten to teach a little one, but I am teaching my youngest daughter to sew/quilt, she's 20, but we sure are having fun. She's already completed her first quilt top... The Jelly Roll Race2!