Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Howdy From Texas Newbie!

Hello!
    Any suggestions on starter machine for beginner quilters?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Howdy From Texas Newbie!

Welcome from Michigan ! I don't have any thing to share as far as what to purchase, but I am sure that someone will offer you great advice about a machine. I use my Viking / Husqvarna for sewing / quilting. I am in the process of making my first quilt I chose the Herringbone tutorial Jenny did here at MSQC a few weeks ago. To become familiar with "quilting" I first made several tote bags ( from a tutorial Jenny did here ....you can make 3 totes from a single charm pack ) I have also made a couple of table runners, pillowcases, and receiving blankets all from the tutorials I found here .

Welcome and good luck on finding the right machine for you !

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Saskatchewan!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Howdy from San Antonio!

There are so many machines to choose and there isn't a clear winner amongst the group, but we do love what we sew on!

My advice is to get what you can afford that has the biggest throat (or harp) - that's the space between the needle and the machine on the right. A good light, easy threading, and needle up/down are really nice features too. Even the fancy stitches are nice, but they don't get used a lot.

Now if you also want to embroider, well....... that's another story. Get all of the above and one with the biggest hoop you can afford.

Welcome and have a good time here. We love to chat and show photos of our work.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome from North Carolina. I'm a Janome fan, have the 6600. It will all depend on your budget and who is your local dealership for sales and service. ( wouldn't suggest ordering on line unless you have access to classes from someone!)
    Even though my dealer is an hour away it is well worth the trip!!
    My friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sfvine and Welcome to the Forum form (LOL) Texas! I began machine quilting on a Brother CS600I, purely a hobbyist/home machine. Cheap and did the job to let me know I LOVED machine quilting. I then quickly realized I wanted a more mechanical machine, and went with the Brother PQ1500s, purely a straight stich, no fancy stitches,,,,,,,,,,,,there are many that are good starter machines, just depends on your budget and preferences. And you'll receive many suggestions you'll receive here. Test drive them, check out reveiws, and don't be afraid to PM folks on a particular machine you may have your eye on. One thing to bear in mind, as you go and grow in quilting, your needs will change, and it will happen relatively quickly.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from SE Louisiana!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.
    Joan