• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leah53
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2014

Health concerns

Let's hope my bad streak has exhausted itself, I am scheduled for an endoscopy August 7th, it was supposed to be a combined endoscopy and colonoscopy but apparently they couldn't find a camera with a long enough selfie stick even though they told me, that because of my health, they couldn't do both at the same time.

On top of all of this, I am suffering from severe dry mouth, have thrush because of antibiotics and have the smell of burnt toast in my nose, all of this has been going on for about a month. Some say that the burnt toast smell could be a stroke in the works but after a month I think if I was having a stroke I would have had it by now. I took a full round of anti fungal for my thrush, didn't work, I have a Dr. appt this afternoon so I'll see what he says about it. I now have to take diflucan any time I take an antibiotic because of yeast infections, this just started last fall, I would have thought the diflucan would have halted the thrush but it didn't, good news is, I didn't get a yeast infection.

If any of you have an suggestions or thoughts on these issues make them known because it's driving me nuts.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?
  • SallyO'Sews
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2012

Re: Health concerns

Sorry, dear, no ideas, but plenty of prayers and quilty hugs! {{{LEAH}}}

Comment

• Blondie
      Missouri Star
      • May 2010

I hate to read this! I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Has anyone ever recommended pro biotics and yogurt to help with the anti fungal issue? Many doctors believe our general health starts and ends in the gut. I have read over the years that anytime one takes anti-b's for any time, yeast is created that can cause a lot of issues that can stymie us. My own Mom has seen the benefits of my Sis and I keeping her on pro biotics and yogurt after being on so many needed meds for several years. Most of her dr's kind of poo poo us, but, her oncologist and one of her surgeons sing the praises of the above. I suppose it is one of personal choice and decisions.
      I don't have links but perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable about these things can address them.
      No way can I say that this is what you need for sure, just throwing it out there since I am not a professional of any sort.
      Good luck
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• Leah53
        Missouri Star
        • Feb 2014

I take pro biotics and eat yogart on a semi regular basis. I've also tried Gaviscon and Previcid, that's what the Gastroenterologist prescribed my brother but this is a new Gastroenterologist for me and I haven't seen him yet, just the PA, but I will be asking about it, I'll know more after the endoscopy.

Comment

• Kgrammiecaz
          Missouri Star
          • May 2013

Ditto on the pro-biotics and/or yogurt. Sending prayers for an easy solution from the doctor.
          Karen
          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• Claire Hallman
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2011

Don't use real silver silverware to eat with. This is what a friend was told when her baby had thrush.
            Might not make any difference or might be an old wive's tale. It wouldn't hurt.
            Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• Leah53
              Missouri Star
              • Feb 2014

Just came from the Dr. and Zaxby's, asked for a chicken sandwich that wasn't spicy, guess what I got.

He gave me another prescription for the Nystatin swish and swallow, doubled the dose this time. Told me to take vitamins and I will after they stretch my esophagus in the endoscopy, the ones I normally take are too difficult to swallow even if I cut them.

Comment

• K. McEuen
                Super Moderator
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2011

My daughter doesn't like to or can't swallow big pills. She got One a Day gummy vitamins and takes those.

I have to say, I giggled about not eating off of real silver silverware. My thought was "Does anyone even have real silver silverware anymore?"
                K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

• sewbizzy
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2012

Sending prayers for your problem to be solved and fast healing....hang in there and get better soon!
                  Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

• JCY
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jul 2013

Sometimes pills are easier to swallow if taken with a spoonful of applesauce or pudding. If worse come to worse, most pills can be crushed & taken with sauce or pudding. Won't be tasty, but at least you'll get them down. That won't work for any med. that is time-released. Hope the stretching of the esophagus helps. Probiotics definitely help keep the gut healthy. When DH had to be on Augmentin for 5 wks. for pneumonia, he took a probiotic the whole time. Feel better soon.

Comment

• Mom23
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jun 2011

I have no advice for you Leah but I will certainly pray for quick healing for you.
                      Robin

Comment

• Carrie J
                        Missouri Star
                        • Aug 2014

Definitely probiotics and yogurt, prayers for speedy recovery!
                        What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

• Leah53
                          Missouri Star
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                          My daughter doesn't like to or can't swallow big pills. She got One a Day gummy vitamins and takes those.

I have to say, I giggled about not eating off of real silver silverware. My thought was "Does anyone even have real silver silverware anymore?"
                          I thought the same thing, "real silverware", what's that? lol

Mike suggested last night I take the gummi vitamins, I like gummies so might try them. I used to be able to swallow horse pills with no problem but apparently my esophagus has narrowed so they're going to stretch it, there's also several food items I can't swallow.

Comment

• jjkaiser
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2013

"Does anyone even have real silver silverware anymore?" Yes and I use it for every meal. And only cloth napkins also. Why save the good stuff for company only.
                            Jocelyn
                            South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• Claire OneStitchAtATime
                              Missouri Star
                              • May 2014

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                              "Does anyone even have real silver silverware anymore?" Yes and I use it for every meal. And only cloth napkins also. Why save the good stuff for company only.
                              I have cloth napkins -- mostly made by yours truly -- but my only possibility of ever owning much real silver is to inherit some from my mother-in-law, who does have some and uses it every day. Silver is crazy expensive these days, even for people who are relatively comfortable. I have a few serving pieces and a few teaspoons, all gifts from MIL's collection, but I couldn't actually set the table for even a simple dinner.

Back on topic -- hope you feel better soon!

Edited to add -- a single place setting these days costs somewhere around 800 to 1000 dollars.
                              Last edited by Claire OneStitchAtATime; July 17, 2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X