Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Scrap sizes

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scrap sizes

Today I am working on cutting scraps into reasonable-to-use sizes. I have 2.5" squares and strips, 5" squares and strips, and larger pieces I'm leaving as is.

Are there other sizes I should be cutting? I have some pieces that are not 5" squares, but I can only get one 2.5" square. Should I cut them as 4" or 3" squares?
    ~Louise

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
    George Eliot

2. Thanks Granny Fran thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scrap sizes

I have some like that and I thought I would make them all the same width and then cut those into random size strips for something scrappy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

2.5" squares are perfect for small 4 patches and the center squares of a Log Cabin Block!

You may also want to consider cutting strips for Log Cabin blocks -- you can decide on whatever width you'd like; most of the tutorials I've seen lately have strips that are cut either 1-1/2" or 2".

Even if your fabric colors don't lend themselves to a traditional light/dark Log Cabin Block, you could do a scrappy Log Cabin (Google: Log Cabin Blocks by Marzipan or Log Cabin Blocks by Amanda Rolfe for examples).
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I cut mine into the largest square possible, starting at about 6.5 inches, down to 1.5 inch. You can always cut down more if needed. If they are over 8-10 inches, I will make them 2.5 strips.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I should just cut the largest I could and not worry about accumulating all one size. I don't have a project in mind, just trying to get organized. Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    I cut mine into the largest square possible, starting at about 6.5 inches, down to 1.5 inch. You can always cut down more if needed. If they are over 8-10 inches, I will make them 2.5 strips.
    ~Louise

George Eliot

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The best scrap users advice I ever got:

Quiltville's Quips & Snips!!: Scrap User's System!

I can tell you this has changed my "quilting life".
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is like the scrap guide to the universe! Thank you for the link. I've added it to my user notes because I will need to go back to it many times over, I'm sure. I especially appreciated that she said there were not many uses for 3" strips. I have cut 1.5" and 2.5", but now I know I don't need 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    The best scrap users advice I ever got:

Quiltville's Quips & Snips!!: Scrap User's System!

I can tell you this has changed my "quilting life".
    ~Louise

George Eliot

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It might be a good idea to consider what scrappy quilts you might want to make in the future and start cutting for those sizes. Lots on Quiltville! She's got a chart out there that shows what size pieces for which quilt. It's small and a challenge to read, but handy. It's the 2nd blue "here" link on this page:

Quiltville's Quips & Snips!!: Free Patterns!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DramaMama View Post
    2.5" squares are perfect for small 4 patches and the center squares of a Log Cabin Block!

You may also want to consider cutting strips for Log Cabin blocks -- you can decide on whatever width you'd like; most of the tutorials I've seen lately have strips that are cut either 1-1/2" or 2".

Even if your fabric colors don't lend themselves to a traditional light/dark Log Cabin Block, you could do a scrappy Log Cabin (Google: Log Cabin Blocks by Marzipan or Log Cabin Blocks by Amanda Rolfe for examples).
    This is a fav of mine... It might be one of the above.

http://youtu.be/GnmIM3xgrMs

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with quiltville she changed my quilting life.