Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tumbler blocks are tricky!

I'm making my third baby quilt using the 5" tumbler template on a charm pack. I laid out all my squares until I found a grid (6X7) that worked. I made stacks of each row then thought I was being clever by turning every other square upside down to accommodate for final orientation of each individual block so I could stack and whack them. That part worked just fine. BUT, when I got to the second row (and all even rows in general) I should have turned that whole stack on its head because you flip each tumbler to be a mirror image of the one above it in the previous row. I have some directional fabric (little tiny hearts) which now will be upside down on all the even rows. I'm also sashing the blocks, chain piecing them as I go, just one row at a time. I already had to rip out all the even ones as I forgot to flip them so that they alternate. This is way too confusing! At least I knew enough not to sash the very last one in each row. I will square up the two sides of the tumblers when they are all sewn together and then double border the top.

2. Thanks Granny Fran thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tumbler blocks are tricky!

I always just cut my tumblers out before I do the layout, as it really doesn't bother me that some of the prints may be upside down or sideways, but I understand that some people are really bothered by this.

Looking forward to seeing your quilt when it is all put together.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The tumbler is on my to-do list. Thanks for the warning, it's good to know, some patterns look easier than they really are to put together!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of like that "dancing backwards and in heels" Ginger Rogers' quote! I'm not OCD, but I try to make everything as perfect as I can. I'm sure it's no big thing, and 99% of people wouldn't even spot it on the finished quilt. I've noticed that my tumblers aren't lining up perfectly on the top and bottoms; not sure if I should trim them before sashing or just try to adjust as I go along. What is the rule of thumb? 1/16" or less?