Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: ironing flannel

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default ironing flannel

I've just bought flannel to make a turtle rag quilt for my grandson. I've never worked with flannel before. Can flannel be ironed? If so, at what temperature and can you use steam?. Also, the pattern suggests using fleece as the batting, does that make sense? Thanks for your help.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ironing flannel

I use flannel all of the time. My best suggestion is to pre-wash it because it shrinks much more than cotton wovens. Press it all you want, on your cotton setting or the one just under that, it won't hurt it and I use steam and starch as well. I am just finishing up a double flannel receiving blanket and I want one for myself!

3. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the advice.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lola is correct. Wash it at least once and put it through the dryer. I press mine with the regular cotton setting.
    (Check the end of the bolt before you buy any fabric, if it's not 100% cotton, write what the blend is on the selvedge. Some of the kids poly blends are super cute and hold up well for drag-around blankies.)
    Remember to clean out your machine when you are done with the flannel. The fuzz can really build up in there.
    The fleece will make a nice batting and it will be really warm. The polar fleece is woven so it won't bunch or break down like some of the other battings. This is handy if you have large spaces between quilting lines.

Happy sewing!
    Last edited by toggpine; October 20th, 2011 at 01:32 PM.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not quite sure why they recommend using fleece. It's probably close in weight to cotton batting. Maybe a bit lighter. It's probably warmer. By the way, I've never made one and was wondering what size seam allowance makes a nice rag.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; October 20th, 2011 at 01:48 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Rebecca, I like 1/2 inch seam allowances on them. It seems like 1/4 inch isn't enough to get that ruffly,chenille look and 3/4 is too much. I haven't used fleece in them. I have a bunch of cheap flannel that I got at a yard sale, thin stuff not good for much but it makes a great inner layer on my rag quilts. It isn't heavy or bunchy, I just cut it the same size as my blocks and there's more to fray and add to the raggy look that way.
    Last edited by Lola2Ace; October 20th, 2011 at 02:00 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Being a really new quilter, I'm really reluctant to add to this discussion with quilters much more experienced that I am, but I thought you're not supposed to wash the flannel before you cut and sew it so that the edges will ravel more and get fluffier.

I've made a couple of rag quilts, and the quilt shop advised me not to wash anything until the end. Mine didn't have batting between the layers. Would that be the reason for the advice I was given?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't prewash my flannel for rag quilts so they "rag" more after washing. Flannel does seem to shrink a bit so you will lose some of your size. even prewashed flannel will "rag" and fluff though, it's just the nature of flannel.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It's okay not to wash flannel if that is the only fabric the quilt is made of, but if you are combining cotton and flannel, you need to wash first and dry on a pretty high temp. The flannel will shrink much more than the cotton, and if you wait till the project is finished, it will pucker.