Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Who'd a thunk it?" moments

I only recently joined this forum but have been quilting/sewing for a long time. I have learned several incredibly helpful things here that have made me thump my head and go DOH!

- starch the heck out of the fabric for before doing things like 8-point stars. DOH!

- finger-press, don't iron-press until the block is done when you have bias seams. DOH!

- slow way down when you get to the end of a long seam (like when strip piecing) so you won't get wonky cuts on the end pieces. DOH! Actually mom might have told me this one. She's always making me go DOH!

What's made you go DOH lately?
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Who'd a thunk it?" moments

FMQ = Feed Dogs Down

Reg. Stitching = Feed Dogs Up.....DOH (it's like running on the spot and not understanding why)

My other DOH list is too long.
    Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
    Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not the kind of DUH you were referring to, but........checking the iron 3 days later and finding it still on. It's a wonder the house didn't burn down. LOL

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Might not work for everyone but my iron is plugged where if you tun off the light, it turns off the power to the iron. Gives me peace of mind.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I remember you saying you wanted to make a quilt by Edyta Sitar and I recognize her tips as your DOH moments. Mine is really a confession -- I just started squaring up blocks. Wow! What a difference a 1/16" makes!
    ~Louise

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
    George Eliot

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

• Learning the "right" way to seam rip
    • Making HST bigger than necessary and trimming down to size IS worth it

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My Doh moment (repeated) is while strip piecing my bobbin runs out of thread after I have sewn a mile of different pieces LOL

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sewing borders. Using wonder clips to attach the two sides together I am sewing, only to discover that after you sew about 6" they aren't flat and even anymore, so you take off all the wonder clips and instead only use two, about 3" and 6" in front of your needle. Sew till you get to first clip. Remove clip and put it about 3-4" in front of the other one. Much more accurate to clip and sew as you go, less time consuming too. I kept changing my mind on borders on quilt that I am making. I have a double border going, and took it off and changed fabric choice on both borders three times!! No more! It took me 4-1/2 hours to unpick all the stitches of both borders. I just finished about a half hour ago. Looks great but man that was a lot of work!!