Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reverse Applique, New Man Sewing tutorial

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Reverse Applique, New Man Sewing tutorial

Annika - Why do you think he did the cut-outs AFTER sandwiching it. Wouldn't it be easier to do the cutting before and then sandwich and sew around the cutouts? The fabric is fused so it shouldn't fray. Maybe there's concern about FMQ running into the cutouts. If one is using a walking foot that wouldn't be a concern. Also, I would use straight scissors rather than curved. What do you think?
    Thanks for posting the video.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like his tee shirt!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    Annika - Why do you think he did the cut-outs AFTER sandwiching it. Wouldn't it be easier to do the cutting before and then sandwich and sew around the cutouts? The fabric is fused so it shouldn't fray. Maybe there's concern about FMQ running into the cutouts. If one is using a walking foot that wouldn't be a concern. Also, I would use straight scissors rather than curved. What do you think?
    Thanks for posting the video.
    Exactly my thoughts to!

It must be so much easier to cut out the shapes first and then fuse it to the main fabric and do the fmq to secure it.

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen other videos on reverse applies and they also used curved scissors they said it was because you could get close to the stitching with less chance of cutting your stitches.

Not sure why you couldn't cut first.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's the way you machine applique on the embroidery machine. Reverse applique is similar to cutwork, except you have an underlay.

The first stitches tack everything down. For applique, you cut close to the stitches on the applique fabric. For cutwork or reverse applique, you cut out the background close to the tack down stitches. This will assure that you have enough fabric when you satin stitch down so applique doesn't pull.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I watched I thought he was going to draw the design on the paper of the fusible, cut it out, then fuse and sew. Maybe I'll have to experiment with both methods. If it is going to hang on a wall, the amount of fraying would be minimal, I'd think.

I'm very excited to give it a go.
    ~Louise

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
    George Eliot

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this demoed at Sew Expo a couple years ago by Sylvester (whose last name I can't remember!). He and his mom are from either Australia or New Zealand and he is now suffering from a relapse of some form of cancer. Anyway, it was one of the most fabulous quilts I have ever seen.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is because you see your design as you go. You can then make changes based on what you see as you cut it out.

I think I would like to put together a charm pack and then have a scrappy design show up. This is a really cool method, I am glad he did this tutorial. I have got to give this a try. Isn't it sort of like black magic with crayons.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did a very small reverse applique (a flower) quite some time ago. I say that everyone should at least try this technique. It can be quite fun and he gave some great hints for being successful.