Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do I square a large block?

I am making a log cabin variation for my daughter's room. The blocks are finished, but I'd like to square them to ensure accuracy before I piece them together. What's the best method for this? Each block needs to be 16"x16" after trimming so they are quite large! Was thinking I could cut a 16"x16" piece of cardboard with part of the center cut out for viewing to make sure I am centered, but thinking you may all know an easier way so each block is proportioned correctly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	113513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	113514

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do I square a large block?

That's going to be so cool!

I would probably do something lazy like folding them.

Lorie

3. Thanks MissyB thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have a good idea going. If you have two large rulers you could place them at right angles to each other and mark the 16" mark on both and measure 1/2 of the diagonal at a time. Does this make sense?

5. Thanks MissyB, Jewel thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One time when I had to square up a large block and didn't have the right tools, I marked lines through the center of the block vertically and horizontally using a Frixion marker. Then I measured half the size of the block from the center lines horizontally and vertically. In your case you would measure out 8" from the lines and cut. Then I pressed the blocks and the marks disappeared. This may have not been the ideal solution but it definitely worked in a pinch. If you happen to have a fairly large square ruler this would be simple to do.

7. Thanks MissyB thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 24" square so I'm not much help.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

9. Thanks MissyB thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I was working on the "Turning Twenty...Again" quilts, the blocks were 16.5" square. I purchased a 16.5" sq. Creative Grids ruler to square all my blocks. I use it for other things, too. My LQS ordered it for me.

11. Thanks MissyB thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely would not use cardboard unless you are just using it to mark lines. If you are using a rotary cutter and running it along the edge it won't be sturdy enough to stay straight. If not really smooth your cutter might hang up on it. If you are using a cutting mat can you use the lines on it?

13. Thanks MissyB thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you have them, try using a 12-1/2" square ruler with a 6x24". You want to measure 8" from the center. So place your 12-1/2" with the 2" mark running right through the center of the block. Then cozy up your 6x24" ruler to the 12-1/2". This gives you a nice long edge to cut against. You can do this on each of the four sides.

Make light pressing marks to find the center of the block. You'll line that 2" mark on each fold line.

Question for you: Do you really mean 16" blocks, or 16-1/2". Sixteen inches sounds like a finish size, not the cut size. This method will still work for 16-1/2", you'll just line up the 2-1/2" mark on the fold lines.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

15. Thanks MissyB thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Investing in a large square up ruler is easiest and well worth the investment. It can be used for other things, too.

17. Thanks MissyB thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use the seam closest to the edge and line up my ruler on one side and cut if necessary. After picking the side I start with I then use my ruler and do the same on the next side, but make sure you are cutting at a 90 degree angle from the side you just cut. Then the two unsquared edges can be squared using the lines on the ruler. You can still use the outside line and the outermost seam to use as a guide again. As perfect as those blocks look in the pic, I would proceed without squaring. It looks great.

19. Thanks MissyB thanked for this post