Finished 1st top. Now what do i do next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbrewer
    Prairie Pointer
    • Jun 2015

Finished 1st top. Now what do i do next?

OK, I have my first top done. I have a lady nearby that has a long arm machine. Do I go buy the backing and batting? Do I need to do anything else with the top? I plan to cut all the loose ends off so they aren't going crazy everywhere.

Also, If I want to use it and be comfortable, what pattern should I use? Big and open or small and tight?

Thanks!top.jpg
  • Jean Sewing Machine
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Re: Finished 1st top. Now what do i do next?

Just ask the lady with the longarm what she needs. Big and loose makes a softer drapier quilt. Your longarmer will tell you what kind of batting to get, and how she likes the backing prepared.

By the way, your top turned out darling!

Comment

• Altairss
      Missouri Star
      • May 2014

Just darling. Yes ask the longarmer most of them have a particular way they want for battings and backing. So tell them what you want out of the quilt and let them tell you what will work best for them to get you the results you want.
      Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

• sewlucky
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

Great quilt! I like more open quilting personally, the quilt is softer and cuddlier that way. Can't wait to see it when the long armer is done with it!

Terri

Comment

• stitchwishes
          The Guild President
          • Jan 2015

Definitely read up on how to communicate with your longarmer so there are no surprises. I haven't had it done yet, but have read a lot and it looks like lack of awareness with the process and making assumptions never turns out well for either party. I found it really helpful to check out the M* ordering process, not for a price comparison but for all the details; they use a certain batting, have a selection of thread color, and make it clear their service is not for intricate special orders. For me it was a good start to understanding how every business is going to be slightly different in what they need from their customer.

Love your quilt top, that's going to look smashing!

Comment

• jbrewer
            Prairie Pointer
            • Jun 2015

Thanks everyone. I will have to wait a few days for her to get back into town. When it comes to the backing, is it better to have a solid piece in terms of structure or not? A lot of great prints are not wide enough and would require a seam. For this quilt, I was picturing a black back with orange or turquoise-or both stitching.

I shouldn't wash it right?

Comment

• Lightwriter
              Missouri Star
              • Sep 2013

One LAQ I have used provides the batting for a discounted price, one requires you bring it in. Depends on how she does things. Backing needs to be at least 4 inches larger than quilt top on all sides.

No washing, but a really good ironing helps a lot. Small and tight is much stiffer. I like mine fairly open.

Great little quilt top, you have done a great job for the first one!
              Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

• JCY
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2013

My LAQer provides the batting at a nominal charge. She also charges for thread. You need to provide the backing, which should be at least 4" wider than your quilt top all the way around. Ask the LAQer what her requirements are. By all means, clip all those loose threads & press the top before taking it to the LAQer. Also press the backing. If you have to piece the backing, use a 1/2" seam rather than the 1/4" seam & press the seam open. LAQers have all kinds of quilting designs. She probably will suggest color of thread & a design that looks good, but you make the final choice. Be prepared to pay. It can get pricey. That's why I learned to do FMQ.

Comment

Working...
                X