Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default RELAX and ENJOY quilting.

Sometimes I wonder what other seasoned quilters tolerate in their piecing. I'm bringing up this subject mostly for our new quilters. I often read threads of stress in the making of quilts, so I want to share with you how I work to make mine. I've been quilting for a number of years. If I worried about all the "hiccups" I encounter while making a quilt, I dare say I would not continue the process. Here are a few small hurdles I sometimes experience. I often have blocks or units that don't always fit quite right. Sometimes I have twisted seams. Sometimes my seams aren't quite a 1/4". Sometimes the pieces don't fit quite perfectly. I make most of these things work by manipulation. I spend very little time "ripping" unless it's a problem that I can't work around. If there is a twisted seam so what? If I worry about every unit being perfect and/or precise I'd go bonkers. Fabric isn't paper. It moves and it shifts and pieces are not always cut exactly the same size. Sometimes, I have to turn pieces over and let the feed dogs ease in fullness. I rarely ever bother to check to see if blocks are square. The one place I do trim sometimes is the corners of the top once it's pieced. I think the most useful advice I can give our newbies is to relax and enjoy learning how to piece and try not to worry about being perfect at the task. I'm not saying you should accept sloppiness in your work. I'm just saying only sweat where it really counts. That's something you'll learn with experience. I would hate to see you give up because the work isn't enjoyable due to trying to gain perfection in all areas of production.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; July 1st, 2015 at 06:43 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

2. Thanks Sherri6474, Jewel, Granny Fran, Blondie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RELAX and ENJOY quilting.

My feelings about it are much like yours. Quilting is my therapy. It's how I like to unwind after a stressful day. I rarely rip seams out. If I do, it's because the pattern requires it to be more precise or if it is very noticeable due to the color or fabric. Anything off less than 1/8" usually stays unless I'm in a picky mood. Once washed, I usually have a hard time finding the "mistakes". If I am that unhappy with the finished quilt, I have no problem making another to replace it. LOL

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rebecca I could have written that word for word about myself. That is how I quilt. Not perfect but everything works out. I have fun , enjoy and relax with it, rarely rip. If things give me issues I walk away for the day or at least a few hours.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto Ditto Ditto Rebecca! And the only thing I would add to your post is that the Quilt Police belong in jail. They would need more than a warrant to get in my house. lol.
    What is that saying about a galloping horse? I think of quilting as a creative outlet and my personal art expression. So, it it looks a little off, wonky and abstract, wonderful! I have never made one perfect quilt, table runner, placemat, purse, tote, anything. Life is short. Make mistakes and buy a galloping horse.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. Unless you're a fully automated machine you're not going to get 100% perfection. If it's frustrating take a break and go back to it. It's supposed to be a fun hobby with the joy of the finished item.
    Quilter since 2013.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Rebecca and Blondie. The galloping horse is my best quilting friend and my favourite word is "squidging". I don't think that word is in any dictionary but Rebecca defines it well. Enjoy the journey - there are hiccups but none that should get us hung up and stressed about. The 3 foot rule is a good guide to go by too - hold the quilt up and look at it from 3 feet away. If nothing glaring springs out at you it passes muster!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Its meant to be a relaxing hobby, not a stressful chore.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree. Quilting is my therapy. I don't sweat over it. When the whole quilt comes together, little mistakes are never noticed.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just love that you wrote this thread, thank you. I love every bit of this craft, some parts of the process more than others but I want to do it all myself. I do not ever get frustrated even if I have to rip. Get a cup of tea, put on my favorite program and rip it. Sometimes that is fun too. I dont do any sewing fast. I love the feel of the fabric and watching each section come together. Sometimes I stare at what I finished in amazement that I could do this.

Enjoy and happy quilting

Thanks Rebecca!
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago, DH and I were in Paducah, KY and went by the quilt museum. Very few of those beautiful historical quilts looked perfect. I think it gives the quilts character. Perfection can be boring.
    Vonnie

12. Thanks Granny Fran thanked for this post