Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Lupus may have knocked me down but quilting has picked me back up!!!

Hey, I am new to quilting, new to this forum. New to all of it. But I will say this has been the most rewarding thing for me. I am disabled and have worked my whole life (till 2 years ago). I am one of those that would put in 50-60 hours a week. Even when I got sick I was still hitting those 50 hrs. Heck I would go do chemo at lunch, then come back to work that afternoon for as long as I could to keep from getting behind due to missing the next day (usually a friday and have the weekend to recover).

Stopping work was so difficult for me because I felt I was then giving in and letting lupus take me. And it was for quite a while. Then I found this. I am sometimes wondering if I found it or it found ME! But with God's help and family I couldnt do without, I was able to get setup with a sewing machine and even a great sewing room to do all my work. I watched tutorials for a month before giving a shot at it. Then I made my first quilt. I did the dresden that I learned watching Jenny's tutorial.

I am now working on learning how to freemotion. That is so fun now that I am getting the hang of it! I am just playing around with all of it. I feel like when I find the thing that really grabs me I will know it! Till 2 months ago I had never TOUCHED a sewing machine. Heck I had to have a good friend come and show me how to even thread the dang thing! Now I just love it so much. Even days that are really bad and I am having a hard time. I find a way to come in my sewing room and sew a little atleast. If not that, I will load up on tutorials!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all finished up.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	9949

Thank you Jenny, I couldnt have done it without you~

Sincerely
    Erin, Mesquite TX
    aka nanasrcool

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lupus may have knocked me down but quilting has picked me back up!!!

Wow impressive and congrats to you for not only picking it up so quickly but in doing a fabulous job of it as well! Sometimes something really great comes of something not so good-life's little (or big) blessings.
    Bobbi
    Laughter is good for the soul
    And so are Martha's Cookies

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lupus may have knocked me down but quilting has picked me back up!!!

Very nice, I am glad that quilting has come into your life at a time you really need it. We are so glad to have you here.
    Bernice

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

WTG Erin!

I've always worked 6-7 days a week for the last 20 years, then this year my Fibro and bad back have been getting the worse of me. I too had to find something to do and I got back into quilting. It was Jenny's videos that grabbed my attention too and then this forum. You won't find a more supportive group of gals. We laugh together, cry together and support each other. Plus they have a wealth of knowledge in quilting and sewing.

For me it's the laughter and support of these women that make my day better. I hope that we all can do the same for you! Your Dresden Plates are beautiful!

Come back often, especially check the daily thread, you'll get to know the gals quickly.

Hugs, Ruby
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Erin, You are not alone with your health issues, one of our girls also has Lupus. She is not on right now but will be back. Your Dresden's are beautiful. Watching Jenny's tutorials is what got me quilting again. I had given up on it back when you only had fabric, chalk, scissors, and a 12 inch ruler!!! Imagine my delight to find out about the rotary cutter and the Dresden ruler etc! Anyway, this is the best site. We love each other and help each other from all corners of our planet. One of the best gifts we got was Jenny and her family. Welcome from Western New York.
    Hugs, Jan L.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Erin, a big warm welcome to you from New Jersey! I am SO GLAD that you've been bitten by the quilting bug. You are obviously talented and your Dresdens are BEAUTIFUL. Isn't free motion a blast?
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Erin and Welcome! I've quilted most of my life, but because of my work schedule and family I haven't done much of it for quite a few years. I too have started getting back into quilting because of Jenny's videos. I work 40 to 50 hours a week and don't have a lot of time to quilt, but I'm trying to make more time. Just last night I ordered the Dresden tool and can hardly wait to get it. I haven't tried the free motion yet, but maybe sometime I'll get up the courage to try it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Erin, your dresden plates are wonderful. So glad you found Jenny's tutorial and it's giving you so much happiness. Seems that she has motivated most of us on this site. I love her easy-going way of teaching and the way she makes you feel like you are her best friend and she's teaching you how to quilt. Please come back often and share with us. You are a true inspiration!
    Bec

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Erin, I love your dresdens! I am a newbie and am rather daunted by the thought of trying them...one day I will.
    Glad you have joined the fun place...eveyone here is so lovely and very helpful too!
    As for the lupus, I understand a little about what it's like for you. My sister-in-law was diagnosed back in the early 80's and has had a real fight on her hands for all those years. Thumbs up to you brave ladies...soldier on!
    Sharon
    May your sorrows be patched and your joys be quilted

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Erin....Welcome to the forum....we're so glad you found us. Your work is beautiful...you must have really paid close attention to the Jenny's tutorials. I deal with lupus also and want you to know that quilting is a real godsend, especially on those days when it would be so easy just to stay in bed. Visit often so we can get to know you and good luck with your FMQ.....Hugs, Barb