Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lupus may have knocked me down but quilting has picked me back up!!!

Wow! How nice your dresdens look. Wonderful that you have found this site. Keep us posted on all your projects, looks like you are hooked.
    Shirley

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lupus may have knocked me down but quilting has picked me back up!!!

Welcome to a great family of quilters! Your quilt is beautiful and wish you many happy hours of sewing. I have only been involved in this wonderful world for one year and just tried FM...I need lots of practice before I am happy with my work. I have MS and sewing is the perfect activity on those days when I am extremely tired!!!! Keep up the great work!!!!!! Dianne

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Erin! Welcome to the M*QC forums - you are an inspiration to us all! We sure hope you sit down and stay awhile. Thanks so much for sharing. Enjoy yourself and let us enjoy you!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Erin, welcome to the forum. And congrats to retiring. It is time for you now! It is wonderful you are enjoying the quilting and are getting comfort from it. I am convinced it is a form of relaxation...sorta like yoga....where you go to a special place in your mind and your body responds by relaxing. That is so healthy for anyone, but especially when dealing with a chronic health condition.

Take care, enjoy and keep coming back!
    Cynthia

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Erin, welcome to the forum. I'm so happy that you found quilting just when you needed it. It's great for taking your mind off your woes. I love your dresden quilt. What a great first quilt. Come back often.
    Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Erin and welcome from Canada. Another one got bitten huh! Well you have come to the right place. There are so many wonderful and talented people on here. Enjoy all there is to offer.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Erin,
    Welcome from Manhattan, NY . i love your dresden plates , its a wonderfull first quilt .
    quilting help a lot of people to have thoughts and hands busy .
    Like said Sandy you are an inspiration for us .
    Take care

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I think we all have our own cross to bare so to speak. We all need something that takes us to that place in ourselves that we feel pride in what we do. To be able to also have something come out of it that is so beautiful is a BONUS!! As far as being bitten by the bug..oh yeah!! Absolutely! I am so thankful to my family for the work they have done to make a sewing room for me to enjoy doing this. I have NEVER been a crafty person. I have in my own head...but never actually put anything into practice till now. It honestly feels very very natural to me. Like I was meant to do this. I LOVE FMQ. My first venture into it was pretty...um messy! lol.. But I got the hang of it and now can make feathers and flowers and pretty much anything I can set my mind to. I have been drawing roses and quilting those. Just playing around to get a really good feel for it. Practice seems to be the key. So I have a stack of practice sandwiches that I use each day to keep it fresh. I have a panel quilt I am making for my grand daughter. The panel is due to the fact that the ONLY thing she wanted was a unicorn and the only thing I found with one was a panel. It is pretty and has fairies and hearts all over it. That is what I am going to do the trapunto work to enhance. I figured since it was a cheater quilt I could do something special on it to make it stand out.

I have 2 more projects I am working on as well. I am just keeping several of them going and that way I just work on whichever speaks to me that day!

I absolutely wouldnt be here without Jenny. Her teaching style I think is what helped the most. She explained each step but in a way that didnt make you feel like you were a big dummy! She made you feel relaxed and you just took it in! She just seems like someone that if you met in real life you would just LOVE and feel at home talking to immediately! The thing I regret the most is that they are so far away. However, based on your responses I am not the only one. Some of you are much further than I am!

Thanks for the support and warm welcome. I will be here for a long time. I agree totally that this is a very therapeutic thing to do. Like I said, on the days I am stuck in bed and can't sew I am on my laptop watching tutorials and reading everything I can get my hands on. Not to mention making an extensive wish list!

My hope is next year to purchase a Brother 11000 or something like that. It is a mid arm machine that will work well on a frame. My husband has already done a lot of reading up on the grace frames and has hopes to be able to get one for me. But we will have to see on all that. Right now I just want to enjoy what I have and the things I am making. My husband actually built my quilting table. It is plywood that is sitting on top of two 3'x6' tables and then we have heavy duty vinyl on top. I have a flannel backed vinyl table cloth on the wall as my design wall. When I need the design wall I use the flannel side and when I need to spray baste my quilt together we turn it around and use the vinyl side! Works great!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Bless your heart Erin....I know what you're going through. I also worked a very demanding job (Nurse in Long Term Care) and a 60 hour work week for me was a break! It was nothing to put in 72 hours a week.
    I was diagnosed with Lupus and Fibromyalgia almost 3 years ago, but stopped working 6 years ago. Physically, I wasnt able to do it anymore. Took 3 years of Doc's, tests, and lots of needle sticks before we knew for certain it was Lupus/Fibro.

There are days I can barely walk, but on my good days, I am at my sewing machine! Just knowing I have a quilt in the works is enough incentive for me to pull myself out of bed and deal with the pain...and its my alternative to depression meds, it keeps me motivated! There are a lot of times I feel worthless, like I'm not pulling my weight with the house bills....but then again, when I was working, we managed to become completely debt free and mortgage free so its not entirely vital that I bring in a paycheck. I just need to watch my spending and stick to my fabric budget...lol

If you ever need some moral support...just inbox me!!

Great idea about turning the table cloth around to spray baste! I never thought to do that with my vinyl cloth I use for my wall.
    ~Mary
    As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Mrs Windy, I hear ya. I have fibro too. I think that goes hand in had with Lupus or it seems to. Explaining that one to my husband was the hardest. How to you explain that hugs HURT? I just told him it was like having a massive bruise ALL over me.

Yeah that fabric budget is a tough one! For me just getting started like I am, I have no stash. So if I want to make something I must buy the fabric to make it.

My other project I am working on is a memory quilt for my mom. I purchased one pkg of the fabric sheets for the printer but man they are high. I am going to get some bubble jet 2000. Also from all I have read cotton popplin is the best material to use. I need to make quite a few of them. My mother had 5 children and we all have our kiddos and some of our have kiddos too. All of the 3 oldest (including me since I am #3) have children with children. I have 3 grandchildren myself. So I am trying to get group pictures as much as I can.

I am hunting a pattern to use to make it. I may end up just making one up. I feel that I have actually come along enough to do that now. This is one I really need to get going on. I will probably make it in a QAYG format for speed. It will also give me more leeway to make it all up as I go. My thinking was to make whole cloth trapunto blocks and picture blocks. That way I could give it alot of depth and texture. There is some fabric that has a graduation to it. That would also look wonderful. Like I said, I have alot of ideas already. I just need to get the fabric to make it. Not expecting to win any though. lol.. Honestly, I am just not one of those people that wins things. I think the most I have ever won is 50.00 on a scratch off once! lol.

Hopefully I will be able to get it done for Christmas. That is my aim anyway. We will see if I can get there. If I really get in a crunch for time I can always just use jelly roll strips. If I can print off enough I have many photos I can use on the other squares. Or I can get bella solid fabric and make something. I really think it will go together quick. lol well that is my hope anyway!

Great meeting you and look forward to talking to all of you more. You are all a wonderful group of people and it is a pleasure to meet you all!!!