Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Work In Progress 6/30/15 July tomorrow, where did June go??

Oh my gosh that double wedding ring is so pretty. I like the backing you chose !

April, the crumbs are really neat! I love how they look.

Well, garage is painted and dh and I did not kill each other getting it done. Big girls kept soph busy so it went great and looks really nice. We had a lovely 4th, the neighbors put on a nice show of fireworks.

Off to hand quilt some tonight, it's all repinned and ready to go.
    Quilter since 2013.

2. Thanks April R thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pam, ROFL, girl that's a dangerous request around this joint!!! We all certainly have met our match a time or two, that's for sure! Goofing off is a requirement, didn't you know that? (Snort!)
    Juliet kind of the way I feel about crocheting this time of year, too darned HOT, with much more to come! Keep a fan nearby, I find that is very helpful!! Hope you get it done in time!
    Leah, I hear you on the July 4TH stuff, it sounded like a battlefield here for the past week!! And feel for the poor animals! And jam making, yummmmmm, but hard work too! Hope your coffee pot being full did the job for you today! Oh, and that week of winning, yeah I used be very pleased when I could do that, knowing full well, Ma Nature would eventually beat me to a pulp with great ease! ROFL!
    Angelia, OH MY, yeah, you certainly do have your work cut out for you, but it is definitely going to worthwhile, love the backing fabric you chose.
    Hey Miss Claire, hugs Lady, so good to see you posting!
    Amy LOl on the painting and "killing each other"! Glad the "Fourth" wath with ya!

I've intermittently messed with making several blocks today, and have had a blast with it. Decided to put up a pix of the Irish Chain top, which will go on the frame around the 25th. I pinned it on the wall (literally) as the design board is kinda waaaay too small. I am very pleased with the color combo and how it turned out. It's off the board now and tucked away for completion, hopefully by the end of the month. I discovered making such a simple pattern has a verrrry soothing effect, yeah, there'll be a couple more Irish Chains hanging around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Irish Chain 6 2015.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	113395
    Last edited by Carrie J; July 5th, 2015 at 07:58 PM.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    And just in time for full on July berry season....

From this lovely bundle Shirley sent to me-
    Attachment 113204 Attachment 113205

Starting to resemble something...

Attachment 113206

....to a top that reminds me of all the things pictured in the above post.

Attachment 113207

Attachment 113208

It doesn't have a back yet, but the binding is going to be a berry purple and it will finish out roughly 86 x 86.
    Because...you know....I didn't seem to learn my lesson about quilting a large quilt on a very small machine with my son's 80 by 85 quilt.
    This is gorgeous! Where and how do you find the time and energy for all you do? That jam looks delicious! I have not had homemade jam in many many years since Mom has been gone...and blackberry even longer as we moved the from the place we lived with blackberry fields when I was 16. I did have a red raspberry patch for Mom here in her later years, but all are gone now. and fudge I have had a craving for some good homemade fudge now I will need to make some I am guessing, but I am the only one here who likes these things.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sonic.......your berry star quilt is sooooo pretty! I must have missed a page while reading!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, it is great to read your inspiring posts. This weekend I did sew on my quilt back. I am matching a crazy, colored concentric circle fabric across the seam. I tried using glue at first but that did not work. Then I started pinning it. The lady in the tutorial I watched sewed right over all her pins. I can't do that! I just can't deal with that. Probably I wouldn't break a needle or wreck my machine but I just can't sew over the pins UNLESS I am turning the hand wheel so I can stop when I feel that I'm hitting a pin. Yesterday I did 24 inches, had to rip out 12 due to the circles not matching, and just today redid that 12 inches. Boy is my forearm tired from turning that wheel. It's okay if it is slow going. I'm not going anywhere this summer after our St. Louis trip. One problem was that as I was seam ripping my mistake section I tore my fabric a bit. I don't know if I should use interfacing underneath to patch it or some Fray Check liquid...and suggestions?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning ladies!

Wow! Lots going on here!! I love all of your quilts and WIPs!

I had a quiet 4th here and managed to quilt my Binding Star quilt. I plan on trimming and binding it today. It sure is hot quilting in the summer!

Right now DH is tearing apart the washing machine. It has been very smelly lately so he watched a bunch of YouTubes and now is trying to fix it. We'll see.

Have a great day!!
    Mary

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hope everyone who was celebrating Independence Day had a nice weekend, and, if you had to go back to work today, that it was an easy transition. I had a quiet holiday, which is fine for me. I was surprised to wake up Sunday morning and realize that no one set off fireworks in our development. This is the first time in the 9 years that I have been here that it was a quiet 4th. And am I glad. Most of the people who were setting them off were intoxicated, and I always worried about something landing on a roof and starting a fire.

Oh, Juliet, I hope you were able to finish the Kindle cover in time. Leah, I only did canning once in my lifetime, and that was two years ago. I was going to do some last year, but my injured shoulder prevented that. I don’t have a garden, so I go to some local produce stands. No one in my family, except my son-in-law and sister commented on any of the canned goods, so this year I will just make small batches for myself and those who enjoyed what I made. I liked my own ketchup, tomato jam, and corn relish. I will probably put up tomatoes too, or tomato sauce, because I like to make my own sauce. I’ll skip the fruit jams and preserves to avoid the calories.

Angelia, the flea market quilt is so pretty, and I like your selection for the backing. Claire One Stitch, so nice to have you back on this post. Carrie, the Irish Chain is so pretty. I have to make sure that is on my to do list. Kimsophia, I agree with your caution about not sewing over pins.

I continue to quilt the Friendship Quilt. I have something like 65 – 70% done, I think. Since I don’t know for sure how much more I am going to do, it is hard to determine how much has already been done. Now that I have done most of the SITD and straight line quilting, I am going to start my FMQ. It will be simple designs, but I think it will enhance the quilt.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Morning Ladies!

Kim, oh no! Haven't ever torn a top, but your solution of interfacing sounds like a cure to me. I'm sure other more experienced folks here will jump on and offer their suggestions. So sorry to hear! And sewing over pins......oh HECK NO......shudder!

Mare, LOL, what did we do before YouTube, ya kow? It's been so valuable on so many fronts. Glad to hear your making such great progress on the Binding Star, and yes, it is a tad warm quilting in the Summer.

Sylvia, know what you mean about the risk of fire! We tried condo living many moons ago, and it was insane during the 4th! Thank your on the lovely compliment, but must admit, I did cheat on the IC, the 9P's were cut at 3 3/4" therefore making a very fast build. And does nothing to disturb that overall patterning. Sounds like you are almost there with the Friendship quilt. At 65-70% it's the stage where I make a run for the finish line, LOL! Can't wait to see it finished!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a busy weekend everyone had. Ours was quiet for a change and really enjoyed it.

Carrie, just how big are those blocks in your Irish Chain? 10 inches? The 3rd or 4th quilt I made was a double Irish Chain and have to say it is one of my fav designs. Yours is stunning (I enlarged your pic to see the details) and I love your fabric choices. Really a blue and white for sure.

Angelia, love the backing for the Wedding Ring find. As to the age, well, the fabrics look like reproduction 30's from the 70's (?) Hope that makes sence. There was a really big resurgence of interest in quilting at that time and some of the colors remind me of the 70's. But, I am no expert even though I am old. lol

Sylvia, I know what you mean about how much is done, just keep listening to the quilt. It will tell you when it has enough.

Juliet, sure hope you got your gift made in time. If not, remember good things come to those who wait.

Iris Girl, if you get together with Leah you can send me the extra goodies. I love all that homemade stuff. I lack the gene for making it myself though.

Well, almost done on the hand-quilting and I have the callous on my under finger to prove it. Have to admit, the more I do, the more I've come to like this quilt. If it hadn't been a mystery quilt, I would never had tried this pattern. Guess this is flexing my ability to work outside my own comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good eye there Miss Fran....and Good Morning to you, LOL! 10 1/4 inches to be exact! And Thank You