Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Work In Progress 6/30/15 July tomorrow, where did June go??

Quote Originally Posted by Iris Girl View Post
    This is gorgeous! Where and how do you find the time and energy for all you do? That jam looks delicious! I have not had homemade jam in many many years since Mom has been gone...and blackberry even longer as we moved the from the place we lived with blackberry fields when I was 16. I did have a red raspberry patch for Mom here in her later years, but all are gone now. and fudge I have had a craving for some good homemade fudge now I will need to make some I am guessing, but I am the only one here who likes these things.
    Thank you.
    To answer your question- Motivation and coffee.
    Those two overcome the fact that I'm poor and my kiddo has a lot of allergies.
    I can't easily buy the safe alternative processed food he needs (if I can find them that is) because they are usually 4 to 6 times more expensive than the ordinary foods I'm trying to replace. And as a fast growing boy the whole "eating me out of house and home" takes on a whole new meaning!
    Either that or typical foods that might appear safe (according to the label) aren't always because they are made on shared processing equipment and not washed or cleaned between runs. At 12 years old (this coming Wednesday) we've been down that road a bunch of times, so I'm very motivated to know exactly what goes into his mouth.

Enter coffee-
    Lots. Of. Caffeine. Fueled. Energy!!

Other than one very old semi-producing apple tree and some wild black respberries, I have planted all the other fruits and brambles. I order them from a catalog (well did) or pick them up in early April locally when they are still semi dormant and the prices are good.
    Plant... nurture....and in no time at all, feast!
    What I like about brambles is they will grow nearly anywhere and in most climates. Side of the garage can be a good place and they don't need tons of room.

Sylvia, that was me a few years ago. None of my family canned and I didn't grow up on home canned stuff (some fresh veggies though) so I had no idea how to. (So I don't have the gene either Fran!..lol)
    Trial, error, and tasty mistakes convinced me it was totally worth it.
    Most of my jams and fruit butters are low or no sugar ones so I can feel really good about eating them and giving them to kiddo. I like my stuff to taste like fresh summer in a jar, not the same sugary base that store bought jams taste like. I will do some regualr sugar stuff, but mostly I avoid it.
    If my kiddo could eat tomatoes I would make our own ketchup too. I hear it's awsome!

Carrie- Love the big Irish chains. I've avoided that pattern because me and itty bitty don't mix well. Yours however, is telling me "very doable!"

What a great find in the wedding ring quilt. Can't wait to see how it all comes together!

Well, I did 32 jars of jam yesterday. I'm not sure I will get much on the way of apples in the fall because the winter was so harsh. The winter before was also harsh and the apple trees didn't produce, so I decided to put as much up as I can now just in case the the apples are pitiful again this year.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter said I could use pink to outline the crumb block sets, which is great because I have a bunch of 10" pink fabric squares from a fabric exchange. I did a mockup with some of the squares to see what it would look like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-06 18.10.09.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	113455
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-06 18.24.03.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	113456

I think I like it the second way better with the like fabric together. What do y'all think?
    Last edited by April R; July 6th, 2015 at 08:25 PM.
    It is not economical to go to bed early to save the candles if the result is twins. ~Chinese Proverb

There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared: twins. ~Josh Billings

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I like the second one better.

It's been a tussle to get another 24 inches of seam matched today. I wound up hand stitching some parts with invisible thread. I can't see to work with invisible thread without good sunlight so that's it for today. Ack.

4. Thanks April R thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

april, definitely the second one.

Kim, hang in there!!!
    Quilter since 2013.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Guess what, folks, I, Claire, have sewing progress to report! I have been sewing very little lately -- more napping & knitting going on -- but I have finally finished quilting my bird fabric quilt, made the binding, and got it sewn on to the front. Just a few hiccups. Handsewing to the back next.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

April I think the second one it picks up more colors and provides a great looking frame. hang in there Kim!
    Sonic now I am just going to picture a wired squirrel on coffee!
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

8. Thanks April R thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Self portrait:

Name:  226c4cce86ab0c0c2b77a772ab620f13.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  33.7 KB

April I like the second one as well.
    Yay Claire!!
    Kim, I can't even begin to imagine hand sewing with invisible thread....Ack!

10. Thanks April R thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

April.....I like the 2nd one too!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

12. Thanks April R thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

April, definitely the second one.

Sonic, where did you find a picture of a squirrel and the coffee?

I finally finished my Scraps table runner today. I posted a picture in Show and Tell. For the first time I tried using my overcasting foot to machine sew down the binding from the front. It has a little ridge built into the middle of the foot that runs right along the binding. It is the straightest sewn binding I have ever done. It was a little wonky in the corners, but probably because it was my first time. Definitely going to attach the binding using this foot from now on.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's really me.
    Cute ain't I?

Overcast foot huh?
    I must go see what this is and if I have one...