Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default A, B, C's for Wiggles

So after a few months of not sewing anything, I finally completed a small project. I made some rag letters (although they haven't been washed yet so right now they are just regular letters) and a zippered pouch to store them in for Wiggles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alphabetpouch.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	112892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alphabet.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	112893

♦ Free patterns and basic instructions for the letters can be found at: Rag Quilt Letters & Numbers Tutorial - Happy Together

♦ A pattern and video tutorial for the bag is available at: Easy Zippered Box Pouch Tutorial |

The letters all use different fabrics from my stash and are all backed in a plain sort of khaki-meets-mustard solid I found on clearance at hobby lobby for like $2/yd. The fabrics range from civil war repro to some really modern and novelty stuff. The idea is that the letters can be used to teach the alphabet through games like "which letter(s) are blue?" "Which letter(s) have stripes on them?".

All of this was sewn on my decade-old Brother XL2600i which has exceeded my wildest expectations for a $80 sewing machine. It always takes me a few minutes to get my "sea legs" back with the mechanical machine after being spoiled by the digital one which completes every stitch for me and can do automatic needle down. I should also mention I was using a folding table and sitting on a plastic bucket for the sewing of all this.

My serger is still in storage and I was too lazy to zig-zag the inside edges for the pouch but other than my laziness there I am really happy with how everything came out. I had never used fusible fleece before and I was really impressed with the structure it gives the finished bag. I can see a million and one uses for these little square pouches and they only need 1/3 yard of each fabric and the fusible fleece so they really aren't too costly to throw together. I see more of them in my future.

It felt good to sew something and I know Wiggles will enjoy playing with the letters and maybe even learn something.
    Loosely based on a true story.

2. Thanks auntynell, Blondie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A, B, C's for Wiggles

Great project--I'm laughing at the plastic bucket!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Great job! Glad you were able to find some sewing time.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on the pouch and letters! Now that you have found out how much fun they are to make I can see lots of them in your future. Guess we'll have to call you "pouch guy" when that happens!
    Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those are very cute. He is sure to get lots of use out of the letters.

Great job for using what you had available to work with to be able to at least get back to sewing some. By the way, a pillow on top of the bucket helps greatly. Or make a coverseat by using plywood covered with some batting and fabric (this also makes it great for storage)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a great Idea so fun and colorful while having the purpose of being educational.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wiggles us one lucky little dude.... He's got a fantastic Daddy.... Who sat on a bucket, to make something so special . Great job!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Are your chairs in storage too? You have to have something better than a bucket!

If Sawyer gets tired of his bag, you can always use it for a shaving kit.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cute bag and the alphabet is a great idea or learning tool.Where did you find a space to sew?
    Joan

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

That's really cool, Ryan! That would also make an awesome gift to give. Your sewing situation sounds tenuous. I hope you can figure out a better set-up.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.