Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aurifil Thread and warm dryers

Recently I was looking through a thread about Aurifil thread. I love Aurifil thread and was surprised when someone mentioned that they had seen/heard that you can't put it in a warm dryer. So I went to the Aurifil site and sure enough down toward the bottom of the 50 wt cotton thread page it said, "No tumble drying in warm air". I thought "What?! How can that be?" So I emailed Aurifil and asked why it would say that and told them that I have put my quilts in dryers that was sometimes more than just warm. This was their response:

Hi Becky,
    thank you for your email.
    We usually suggest not to dry the quilts in the warm dryer because the thread might suffer some damages.

So then I got to thinking. What about when you iron your blocks...so I emailed them again asking about that. This was their response:

"Dear Becky,
    the maximum temperature of ironing is 150°C(302 F) and I confirm you can iron the threads without problems. In our washing rules we report “ no tumble drying in warm air “ because the prolonged exposure to warm air can weaken the thread.
    If your quilts have no visible damages you do not have to worry, but we suggest not to dry the quilts with prolonged exposure."

That still doesn't make a bit of sense to me. I would think that if a warm dryer could damage the thread, then pressing the blocks (sometimes with steam) could damage it as well. Now I don't know whether to trust that my quilts will hold up. I know I don't have room to lay quilts out and just air drying them in the dryer would take a millennium. Plus, I know that my gifted quilts will be thrown in dryers. I don't want their quilts to start falling apart.

Has anyone heard of any other threads that aren't suppose to be used in warm dryers?
    Bec

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Aurifil Thread and warm dryers

If an iron can get to 302* Fahrenheit, I don't think we need to worry about a "warm" dryer. It's probably just one of those disclaimers that companies are having to put on all their products. Maybe someone dried their quilt for 24 hours straight, or something.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snip Snip View Post
    If an iron can get to 302* Fahrenheit, I don't think we need to worry about a "warm" dryer. It's probably just one of those disclaimers that companies are having to put on all their products. Maybe someone dried their quilt for 24 hours straight, or something.

I agree.... Sometimes companies put absurd warnings on their products due to one or two incidents. They have to.. It's a CYA thing.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - probably a protective statement they have used because of a complaint. You know, like those tags on hair dryers that say 'not to be used in a bathtub'.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. Like cups stating coffee is hot.
    Quilter since 2013.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter in law washed and dried one of my first quilts so much that the hand quilted borders began to break. It definitely weakened the thread. I don't wash mine real often but she was doing it once a week or more. That said, I think it would be the amount of heat over time. I don't have anywhere to dry mine either but try to take them out of the drier still slightly damp. The thread isn't cooked that way. I hope this makes a difference.

7. Thanks bhaggerty thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

The dryer weakens fabric and wears your clothes out faster, especially if you over dry things. It stands to reason that Aurifil is correct, but I should think it would be equally hard on the fabric the thread is on. They're an Italian company right? Europe doesn't have the big clothes dryers America does in every household, they might have that recommendation on the assumption the average person would bake their quilt in the dryer until it's way past bone dry. A good clothes dryer these days will have a moisture sensor and stop instead of baking your clothes until the time is up. A hit with a hot iron is brief and isn't tumbling and stretching the thread, many extra minutes in the dryer past the point that the quilt is dry, repeatedly over the lifetime of the quilt it would be harsh and break down all fibers in the quilt. But unless it's something. You want to last forever, pass it down, I wouldn't worry.

I recently ditched the dryer altogether after getting a drying rack from Amazon for something a few months ago and ended up loving it. My mother has always dried things partially and then hung them up slightly damp if it's clothing she wants to last longer.

This is my drying rack. It's Korean, they generally don't have a dryer in each household, so this is meant for everyday use unlike the cheap little wood racks we typically have in the US. In the last three weeks I've dried a lap quilt and a queen size quilt on it, each dried overnight. I folded the shelves down and put the hangar wings out and draped the quilt over.
    Amazon.com - Badoogi BDP-V12 Foldable Heavy Duty and Compact Storage Drying Rack System, Premium Size - Clothes Drying Racks
    Last edited by stitchwishes; June 20th, 2015 at 10:11 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use my wooden drying rack mostly for socks. That looks like a pretty neat drying rack. When washing quilts, I use the delicate cycle & cold water. When drying, I fluff for maybe 5 min. on delicate, then spread them out on plastic, covered with beach towels, on the floor, & smooth out all the edges. I read those instructions in a quilt book. I set a fan next to the quilt to help it dry quicker. I've had good success with this method.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good looking dryer. I think I would give up my automatic dryer for one of those. It would just take a little planning, to make sure the clothes had enough time to dry before needed.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snip Snip View Post
    That's a good looking dryer. I think I would give up my automatic dryer for one of those. It would just take a little planning, to make sure the clothes had enough time to dry before needed.
    That's the only thing I don't like. If I want sheets in a couple hours, I use the dryer. Favorite shirt you forgot to wash? Not wearing it today! But the rack holds so much, it took just a couple times before I understood how to load it and have lots of room for another load or two. Just a little planning, like socks or undies last because they go on clips that edge each shelf and it's just easier to hang them last. And bedding needs its own wash day because it uses the whole rack. I'm actually finding it less tiring than the dryer, which has shocked me because I deal with muscle fatigue daily.