Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to quilt outside the home?

When I started quilting, my wife and I lived alone in a 3 bedroom house with a full basement. Life happened and now we live with a 16 month old boy and another baby on the way in a much smaller 3 bedroom apartment. I've lost my quilting space! I'm trying to come up with ideas for places outside the home I might be able to quilt maybe a couple times a month. Ideas?!

When I lived in Knoxville, I know the public library had rooms you could rent for club meetings (I could start "Ryan's Super Laid Back Friendly Quilt Club" which would meet there) but I'm not sure if the library here has a similar thing? There is a Hobby Lobby literally connected to my apartment complex parking lot and I know they have a room where they teach some sewing classes. I don't really care about teaching sewing as I'd like to work on my own projects but maybe they would allow a club to meet there? Couldn't beat it for convenience.

I understand that some quilt shops do open sewing hours but there aren't any shops particularly close to me and I'd really rather not have to pay to sit and sew and I know many shops charge an entry fee for these type of activities.

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions on finding a spot that I could use maybe a couple times a month in the evening to do a little quilting? I miss being a part of this community terribly and I'd love to figure out a way to get back into it on some level.

Off Topic:
    Wiggles is doing really well. We went to Pancake Pantry for breakfast this morning and he loved it. We find out the gender for baby #2 next Friday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pancakepantry6.13.15.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	111729
    Loosely based on a true story.

2. Thanks auntynell thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Where to quilt outside the home?

What a beautiful little boy. Sorry I can't help you with your quilting problem. I used my kitchen table to sew the tops. Put it all away when I'm wasn't sewing. Now I have everything set-up in a corner of my bedroom.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I baste my quilts at the church. I don't even attend that often (I am there in spirit, Jesus), but have donated several for various charities they sponsor.
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You might try a local church.
    Have you tried to contact a guild in your new area? Our guild has sit and sew days at a local church once a month which might satisfy your needs [if you were close to me]. A Tennessee guild might offer the same sort of thing.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps explore the apt complex for spots. If they have an office, do they have an unused room? A meeting or party room that residents can use? Sure hope you find something soon. oldsewer

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldsewer View Post
    Perhaps explore the apt complex for spots. If they have an office, do they have an unused room? A meeting or party room that residents can use? Sure hope you find something soon. oldsewer
    Does your apartment complex have a community center? If so you may be able to book that a couple of times a month. Also VFWs and fire halls sometimes have rooms that are available for rent at a reasonable price.

Good luck. Sounds like a great plan to give you a little sewing time.
    Ann

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Contact your local city government and ask if there are any community rooms which can be used free of charge. Depending on where I have lived sometimes the community rooms are available at the fire station, through the parks and recreation department, sometimes a local school, once it was through a generous Credit union, and once at the Senior center.

Looking forward to seeing you back at the forum.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, nothing like having the itch and nowhete to go! I am afraid you will not like my answer. I think hauling everything out to the car to work outside the hpuse is nothing but a hassle. It means dragging fabric, cutting board, iron, ironing board, sewing machine, pins out to the car and then reversing the process. I was a veteran at the kitchen or DR table for 20 years before I moved and got the extra bedroom for my very own sewing room at last. Sewing on the kitchen table does mean picking up and putting away constantly but to me is a better option than carting it all to another location. And you do actually save time by working at home. Good luck finding your space.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    And you do actually save time by working at home.
    I see what you mean but I can't work on anything at the house uninterrupted while my toddler son is here, then I have to get up quite early for work early so I won't get anything done if I have to wait until after he is asleep to even begin dragging out my equipment.

I hadn't even thought of asking at my apartment complex. That is a great starting point.
    Loosely based on a true story.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an assistant librarian, and I know libraries that have meeting rooms would be an option, and they usually don't cost anything. You could occasionally make a donation to the library for the continued use. I've actually used ours a few times. It really isn't that hard to take a light weight machine, and supplies in a couple of grocery bags.