Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sandwiched and Ready to Quilt - But Can't Decide on a Design

I am making this quilt for a friend that loves bold bright colors and cats. This quilt covers both of those things. It is so bright it made me dizzy when I was piecing it, but I have grown quite fond of it now.

I just cannot decide what design to use when quilting it. I thought about spirals, continuous hearts, flowers with spirals, but nothing has said "Ah ha - this is it!"

I will be free motion quilting on my sewing machine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bright CCat.JPG 
Views:	243 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	9853  

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sandwiched and Ready to Quilt - But Can't Decide on a Design

Are you up to doing fish or Mice? Both would be relatively easy to do as a continuous line for FMQ. If all else fails a large wandering line would not detract from the quilt and you could make it look like a ball of wool for the cats to play with by including a few tight spirals here and there.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I can do the mice, I have tried and they don't look like mice. I don't care for the fish motif, but my friend is a knitter. Thanks I will see what I can draw out.

I know from what I have read that the design should be wavy or circular because there are so many straight lines on the quilt already. The backing fabric has cats all over it.
    Tortugaquilter

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If you make it look like a ball of wool then you will not have to worry about not crossing the lines, you can do nice big flowing loops and wavy lines just like an unravelled ball of wool would look.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nice quilt. I'm getting ready to make that same quilt in the near future with a Hello Betty jellyroll. I saw the pattern in my Thimbleberries book and really liked the diagonal positioning rather than the typical fence rail. I love the cheerful colors that you used.

I'll be interested in everyone's comments, because I was wondering what kind of FMQ pattern to use, too.

Just an added thought...what about stippling in the stripped blocks and then something else (like balls of yarn or something you could draw and follow) in the solid triangles? Then maybes some diamond shapes that entwine on the border.

Let us know what you come up with and send us some pics when you are done.
    Last edited by bec; October 12th, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
    Bec

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How about something angular since the blocks are very bold and straight?

Love the quilt by the way!
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt!

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Nice quilt. I'm new to machine quilting (husband made me a great frame). I have used stippling and tried free hand, I have also used pantographs. I went online and looked at different types. I designed my own and used that. I wouldn't be too concerned about the perfect quilting pattern for your quilt. It will look great whatever you do. It's a piece of your heart that you are giving when you gift a quilt. Just remember to have fun!