Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question About Non-Slip Stripology Ruler

Will the Non-Slip Stripology Ruler easily cut 3 inch strips?

I don't think it is one of the "default" widths so I am thinking that just using a regular ruler might be just as fast. (?)

I have not seen this ruler myself, but I am getting kind of tired of carefully measuring & cutting 3 inch strips for my pyramid quilt. If this ruler would make that part significantly faster, it might be worth it (plus all the potential uses in the future, of course). If it makes a difference, all of my fabric is in fat quarters.

Marci

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question About Non-Slip Stripology Ruler

Description:

Reduce your rotary cutting time by up to 75% with the Stripology ruler. Cut up your full width fabric and fat quarters into the most popular pre-cuts on the market � 1 1/2 & 2 1/2 inch strips; 5 & 10 inch squares. Need to cut in quarter-inch increments? No problem - follow the chart included in the instructions and use the 1/4 inch line on the ruler. Then, sub-cut these strips and squares or your pieced strip sets in a matter of minutes. Keep them square by placing them under the horizontal lines on the ruler � or under the marked 10 inch square.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...ripology-ruler

That is from the web page, and it say 1/4 inch increments, so I am thinking it will do 3" strips just fine.

Several people have this ruler, so hopefully one of them will come by soon.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO the Stripology ruler will easily cut FQ into 3" strips. It does not slip at all. The numbers are clearly marked and easily read. It is 20" wide, so you will be able to cut 6x3 or 18" from your FQ with a single positioning of the ruler (to bad it is not 21" wide, you could have maybe got one more cut from the FQ if you were lucky without having to reposition.) The slots do not seem to deform like the do on the June Taylor ruler, so the cuts are very very consistent. What I do when I have to make a lot of the same cut is to put blue painters tape to cover up the slots were I am not supposed to cut. That way I do not accidentally put my rotary cutter in the 2.5 slot instead of the 3 slot. Its fool proof, its fast, its accurate. I think you will really like it.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My thought was that if you had to "find" the 3 inch slots by counting in quarter inch increments or something it actually might take more time than just lining up your regular ruler (whereas I think the precut widths are clearly marked). However, I like the idea of being able to cover the unused slots and just zip zip zip without having to reposition the ruler (and without it moving).

I have finished around 80 blocks (each block is in the shape of a diamond) but I think I need around 136, so I still have a ways to go (each block/diamond contains 18 triangles). Once I get these done I don't have a clue how to square up the diamond shapes since anything I would do would end up cutting off triangle points--but one step at a time I guess. Even though most of the internal points match up the sides are all just a little bit wonky, so trying to match them is not going to be easy. Wish I had done the Yellow Brick Road, D9P, or just about anything that wasn't all triangles. I just did not have enough quilting experience to realize that they would be significantly more difficult.

Marci

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The slots are 1/2" apart, so it will easily do 3"!! Go look at one in the store or even online and you will see just how it works!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There is an instructional video on YouTube.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

There are clear markings every 1". I wouldn't hesitate at the thought of cutting 100 3" strips with my stripology ruler - so fast, so easy!

I do like the suggestion of putting a little dot of tape every three inches - it would prevent that split second of thinking you had counted correctly. The 2.5 and 1.5 are so quick and easy. Three inch strips would be just as quick with the little reminder dots.

I am about to see how the ruler works with a smaller rotary cutter - it might stop the occasional bits at the end needing attention.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You could mark where your 3" measurement would be with a piece of colored tape or such.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it would make a difference that all the strips so far have been cut using the fine black line on the Olfa ruler. Would the 3 inch strips be slightly different with the Stripology ruler kind of like quarter inch seams are slightly different on different sewing machines?

Marci

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know. The stripology ruler has lovely fine clear lines. Maybe someone has both rulers and can check for you.