Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Feel Like I Have a Lemon - Bernina 830

I have my machine back. There was a piece of thread caught in the cutter against the outside wall of the machine. How it got there is a mystery. The fact that it was blue thread, and I haven't sewn with blue thread since August, a mystery. Supposedly a lot of adjustments were made. We will see what happens. I have a lot of quilting to do between now and Christmas, just like every other quilter, so I am hoping for no more issues.
    Tortugaquilter

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yea! It sure has been a couple of week of machine pains. Glad to hear that yours has been fixed.

My cheapy machine is doing great. Haven't had time to call other dealers on the Island for pricing, but will try next week. If not I'll probably sell it on eBay.
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

hello--Just read your posting on your machine. Was just wondering--how is it working for you know that you have had it back for a while???? i hate when my machine acts up. It is very upseting.
    I am such a material girl!!!!! Nena

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

re: the new Bernina 830. I have had this miserable machine for 1 1/2 yrs. It need repairs constantly and it isn't exactly portable. It has cost me a fortune in down time. It take 4 or 5 times as long as it should to do anything because of the constant error messages. It has never worked right. It does NOT thread but that is the very least of the problems. I have to leave the front cover and the flatbed off at all times because I need constant access to the threading, top & bottom. The very expensive bobbins are disposable, after a few months of normal use the machine will no longer recogize them. Considering that this machine was not ready to be marketed that is just adding insult to injury.

It also will not allow me to use any special thread, at all. I used to use mono thread a lot but if I try to use with this machine it will punish me for the reast of the day trying to repair the damage. Can't use metalic thread for embroidering. I just like this machine to do what it was advertized as doing. It will not. It does not. I hate this machine. I'vew been sewing for over 30 years, I've used computerized machines for years, and I know computers and computer programs. This machine has turned me against sewing.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Janet, I don't own an expensive machine, but the trouble that you guys have had is not acceptable. I would forget the dealer and go straight to the manufacturer. Find out the President or CEO's name, and write directly to him. That gets attention. I have done that in the past.
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those are expensive machines and I would not hesitate to contact Bernina directly.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quite frankly, I haven't been using mine enough lately to know how it is doing. My shoulder injury kept me down a good part of 2011 followed by the surgery. The few quilts I did were fine.

The automatic threader no longer actually threads the needle, unless it is at the dealers.

I have mixed feelings about this machine, and often wish I had gone cheaper, but when it works, it does beautiful work.
    Tortugaquilter

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I am shocked to hear continuing problems with this Bernina machine! I've never owned a Bernina but I thought they were supposed to be magnificent machines! I'm beginning to think Bernina is slipping. I would definitely contact the manufacturer. I don't know if it'll do any good but maybe if enough people complain they'll up the quality. I can't imagine you folks are the only ones on the planet with this complaint. If you get no satisfaction you might consider trading it in for something else. I know that's a loss but who wants an unreliable machine?!? Maybe something could be worked out with the company from whom you bought the machine so you could walk out of the shop with something more reliable.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I'm also shocked that you both are having such horrible experiences with a high-end machine. Sewing is like therapy & to have a machine thwart your efforts is totally frustrating. I hope the problem will be resolved soon. We Quilties feel your pain.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So very aggravating to have a very expensive machine with a very useful feature not working properly. I love the cutter on my Janome 7700.

I have a 35 year old Bernina, and the dealer was so confident in that machine that she told me, "If anything doesn't work right on this machine, IT'S YOUR FAULT! YOU'VE DONE SOMETHING WRONG!" I must say, in 35 years, she's been correct about that. It was a simple mechanical machine, cost so much for such a tiny thing (it's called a mini-matic). I've never had one thing repaired on it except I burned up a foot pedal, and I've had it cleaned and oiled!

Guess Bernina got too over-confident in their products and production methods, I wonder if they are still as good as they were way back when. I know they expect a lot of money for them! (Was quoted 10.5K for a demo machine when one of the dealers closed) I also know two dealers in the area who stopped carrying them, one told me that Bernina wouldn't give them a proper cut of the profits on them to make their business viable, so they just say, "Goodbye".