Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

View Poll Results: What does your floor look like?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clean clean clean! I can't even read about messiness without shivering!

10 21.28%
  • My floor is a mess when I'm sewing, but I sweep/vaccuum when I'm done

25 53.19%
  • Freedom! My floor is art.

6 12.77%
  • I do something not on this list.... see my post below

6 12.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What does your floor look like?

Want to do something liberating? Besides the bra thing? Toss your thread and scraps on the floor! How many of you cringe every time you see Jenny swipe scraps to the floor or watch Eleanor Burns toss them over her shoulder? I did!

At home, I have a thread catcher and a scrap basket AND a trash basket nearby. But..... when I'm quilting at my friend Pat's home, we toss our scraps and swish them onto the floor! OMG At first I wouldn't, then Pat would notice my pile o scraps and she'd swipe them onto the floor defiantly. So I'd do it too, but at the end of the night I'd sheepishly go back and sweep them up into piles and toss them in the trash. Next, she hid the broom. Now I had no choice but to 'let it go' (everyone sing that song! you know you want to!) and so I have.

And you know what? It's so liberating! Free those threads and scraps! Let them form a collage under your cutting table. Make your sewing room a nest of threads and scraps too little to save! It's so fun to see your mess at the end of a night - wow, you really did some damage to that fabric! Sweeping it up when it gets too much is fun too. I should save it for pillows like some of you do. I do save the threads in my thread catcher still - I set them out on my deck and watch the birds choose a thread for their nests in the spring.

So what does your floor look like?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What does your floor look like?

Well,,, thanks for sharing this.... I have a nickname here.... Pigpen... you know that guy in Charlie Brown???? Yep, that me,,, I cook and leave crumbs... sew and leave threads... DH is after me with the dustbuster and vacume....LOL
    But he eats well and i get lots done....)))))
    Wish i could be neater,,, but i am who i am.... once it get's so bad that i'm down to the last of my 10 or 12 prs of scissors (which become buried)... then i pick things up and put them back and stqrt all over again...
    Who needs "liberating"... NOT ME))))))))))))
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

All of my scraps get wiped to the floor. Off the right corner of my cutting island. When it's a good sized pile, I pick it up and toss it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I usually sweep mine onto the floor too. I was a bit more tidy when I was trimming my recent HST's because my trash can is right next to my cutting table, so I'd trim a bunch then sweep it all into the trash can.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My floor looks like . . . sometimes a bit of a mess. I should go take a picture. I have a thread catcher. I have a small can in which I 'attempt' to put thread clippings (often they miss . . . but my plan is to take those embroidery thread pieces, layer them between two pieces of water soluble stabilizer and stipple, then wash it all out and make something special . . . I have about 2 gallons so far . . . but maybe, someday, maybe . . . )

Dog ears, corner clips, scraps too small to save? Those are aimed at the trashcan, but sometimes my trashcan is missed. About once a month I pull out the vacuum cleaner and vacuum (my sewing room floor has commercial carpet on it). Then I spend about half an hour or so, sometimes more, sometimes less, cutting threads and snips from the bristles and wonder why my aim isn't better.

At my cutting table I have a gigantic cardboard barrel - one of those that takes a 55 gallon trash bag. Snips and scraps make their way there - things that aren't soft, like scraps of interfacing, cardboard bolt supports - junk. Attached to the front of this with giant binder clips is a T-shirt. The sleeves and bottom of the T-shirt have been stitched tight. Little scraps go in this. When it is full it will be donated to a local animal shelter for a pet bed (thank you Joyce Franklin, for this tip)

Under my cutting table I have a plastic tub, like busboys use in restaurants (thank you, Sam's Club) and remnants go here until I am fed up with it overflowing and then take it in and sort (hopefully one day I'll have enough ambition to do something about re-wrapping the larger pieces on my foam core boards, and cutting usable pieces for future blocks . . . but right now I avoid them unless I know there's something in one of the 30+ boxes that would work in a current project.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

6. Thanks Jewel thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What I used to do is take the sticker off the thread (coats and clark) and fold a part of it and stick it sticky side up to my sewing table. Everytime I would snip a thread, I would stick the thread to this. However, now that I am not using coats and clark thread anymore I just throw it on the floor. It blends right in with my messy crowd. And since I get so many interuptions in the course of a project, it may take me a week to vacuum. I am not so uptight about crud on the floor, this came with age.....I am uncertain if it is wisdom or laziness or both!

8. Thanks Jewel thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I aim at the floor and sometimes the trash cans I have set around. ☺
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that's what our clothes were for?? Wearing bits of fabric and threads everywhere you go. That's how people know you have a sewing machine and do magical sewing stuff with it.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear...... I, too, have a thread catcher and a waste can near me when I'm sewing, but to no avail.... I always cheer when Jeenny sweeps those tiny buts onto the floor, because I often do the same..... When a day of quilting is over, there are threads and buts if fabric all over the place..... Thank goodness I have hardwood floors. I had carpet in the house before this one, and tuts was a nightmare.....

And when I cook? I can tradh a kitchen in nothung flat..... Baking bread? Clouds of flour abound!
    it's not so bad when I use my KA stand mixer, but if I'm kneading by hand from the start, lookout!

I was married to my sweet husband for fourty-six years.... NEVER. had to pick up anything..... Not even socks, or towels...
    He just didn't leave stuff lying around... It was me who needed picking up after...

I try... I really do.....But, I am who I am....

So, how us it that the two best housekeepers in my family....my sister, and my cousin are coming to spend the weekend? Uh oh.. This is nit good..... Oh, and my DIL is also a great housekeeper.... My sewing room makes her cringe... Seriously.....

It is what it is..... I'm too old to change...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty good about putting clipped threads in the little bag I tape to my sewing table, but the snips of fabric usually end up in a pile on the edge of my cutting table, which I try to gather up and dispose of every few hours. I never intentionally throw scraps or snips on the floor because I try to keep them away from our cats, but they do seem to collect there anyway. I clean up after I finish for the day, but again, that's mostly because I'm trying to keep all those bits away from the kitties.
    Thimbleena