Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Red face M&M Container for Bobbins!

Yes, I have a problem ... I am obsessed with bobbin storage! I like to have my bobbins filled and labeled so I know which one has the thread I need for any given project when my bobbin becomes empty (I usually have more than 1 sewing project going at one time) -- white cotton, white poly, black cotton, black poly, 40 wt., 50 wt ... I need it labeled!

I saw this today and am excited to try it -- though I have doubts whether my bobbins will actually fit in the container.

If it doesn't work for me, maybe it will work for you. And BONUS -- I can use washi tape to decorate the containers ... HELLO! And how cute it will be to put it in a basket in my fabric hutch vs. taking up drawer space!

Lucky Star Lane: Repurposed M&M Minis Containers

ADDED BONUS: Gotta eat the M&M's before I can use the containers!
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: M&M Container for Bobbins!

I think some of the fancier Duck Tape would work pretty well on these, too. Now to find the M & M's mini s. ??

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

My husband is a coin collector and has plastic tubes for the various size coins. I found bobbins fit in these perfectly. I realize this isn't available to everyone but it has been a blessing for me. With several different machines, I can store extra bobbins for each machine separately. The bobbins for the featherweight fit in the quarter tube while the Bernina bobbins fit in the nickel tube.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious as to how you label your bobbins. Identifying the thread on a bobbin after I have finished using it has been a problem (and mystery) to me.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love those bobbin rings, I have quite a number of them, color coded to carry various shades of colors. You can hang them on a large hook if you have such a thing in your sewing area.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just hang mine on a peg hook, several filled bobbins then the spool of thread. With my eye sight this is a must!
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am a terrible person, I own only 4 bobbins. But surely this could be a nice idea! I am also thinking about buying more bobbins and a bobbins container we sell at work, it is from Prym

For Sylvia H I never labeled any bobbin yet but when I will do it since I use plastic ones I will write on C for cotton and P for polyester
    My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, I never thought of that but it is really good idea. You could also use a narrow medicine/pill bottle, if you can get the safety cap on and off easily.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia H View Post
    I am curious as to how you label your bobbins. Identifying the thread on a bobbin after I have finished using it has been a problem (and mystery) to me.
    Sylvia:

Regardless of what I've used -- I label with painters tape and a Sharpie as the tape can be easily removed/changed.

I started with this plastic bobbin holder when I sewed; it quickly became too small once I started quilting! They are too pricey for me to get more or a bigger one.

Tutorial Tuesday: DIY Bobbin Clips - Schlosser Designs | Blog

Then used the foam toe dividers (made for pedis); still like these because it helps contain the unraveling bobbin thread and fits in my drawer nicely:

Manoa Road :: Handcrafted Goodness Found!: First "Ehrmagerd" Pinterest Moment of the Year

Still use the small elastic pig tail holders to keep thread from unraveling (unless I'm using the toe dividers):

Sew Many Ways...: Thread Organizing Linking Party...Share Your Ideas

One of my new favorites -- metal rings:

Craft Room Confessional: Obsession with Binder Rings | Craft Test Dummies

And this I have not yet tried (because I'm not sure I have drawer space to store it):

Sew Many Ways...: Tool Time Tuesday...Ice Cube Tray Organizer
    Last edited by DramaMama; May 30th, 2015 at 12:04 PM.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Someone mentioned their husband collects coins and she uses those sleeves. That's a great idea. I can get those sleeves from my credit union for free, but you can also buy them at office supply stores.

Personally, though, I'm hooked on those donuts. Just ordered a red one from M* last week for my red and black Janome. (I've got them color coded by machine. A little OCD? perhaps. )