New Quilter, questions about figuring yardage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ameliaeo
    Shiny Thimble
    • May 2015

New Quilter, questions about figuring yardage!

Hello! I am a very new quilter and I am not quite sure as to how to figure out the yardage of each different fabric I would like to use in my first quilt. I believe I want to make my first quilt 5 feet wide and 6 feet long. I also would like to make 12" blocks, as this seems a little easier to begin with. I have the fabric and design of my blocks picked out. Can anyone tell me how many yards I need of each fabric? Any help would be greatly appreciated Picture is the design and fabric I would like.
    Publication4.jpg
  • GrandmaE
    Designer Diva
    • May 2014

Re: New Quilter, questions about figuring yardage!

Someone with more experience than I will pipe in but they may wish you to clarify the size of your center square like 5". Also will need to know if that measurement is the fabric cut size or the finished sewn in size. In other words will the center be 5" or 4 1/2" after sewn into your block and will the finished size be 12" after it is sewn together or before. Hope this is somewhat clear.

Comment

• tesspug
      The Guild President
      • Mar 2013

I used Robert Kauffmans quilt calculator on my iPhone. It's called QuiltingCalc, you can download it for free. 12" blocks 5ft x 6ft would be thirty blocks. So for the outer triangles you need 3.79 yards, for the smaller triangle, 2.75 and for the center squares (assuming they are 5 inches or smaller) you need 5/8. I would round up to the next yard. If you don't mind my being an old mother hen, let me warn you this block has a lot of biased edges, which can cause your blocks to be "unsquare." Why don't you try one or two in scraps to make sure it's going to come out the way you want.
      Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

• Quilt Lakeside
        Rotary Pro
        • Sep 2012

Using EQ7, I calculated 1 yard for the center squares, assuming the are 30 (5 x 6 layout) and you cut them 6.5" and they finish at 6". For the darker triangles, EQ7 gives me 1.25 yards, which assuming you would cut thirty 7.25" squares and then cut them along both diagonals to yield quarter square triangles. Then, the outer fabric is estimated at 2 yards, which assumes cutting sixty 6.875" (six and seven-eighths) squares and cutting them along ONE diagonal to yield half-square triangles.

Please see the attached image for the cutting chart from my EQ7. Also, you may wish to visit Quiltville's Square in a Square tutorial. sqinsqtutorial

Finally, your blocks will give you the 5' x 6' that you desire, but have you thought about borders?

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions!
        Laura
        SqinSq.JPG

Originally posted by ameliaeo View Post
        Hello! I am a very new quilter and I am not quite sure as to how to figure out the yardage of each different fabric I would like to use in my first quilt. I believe I want to make my first quilt 5 feet wide and 6 feet long. I also would like to make 12" blocks, as this seems a little easier to begin with. I have the fabric and design of my blocks picked out. Can anyone tell me how many yards I need of each fabric? Any help would be greatly appreciated Picture is the design and fabric I would like.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]110290[/ATTACH]

Comment

• ameliaeo
          Shiny Thimble
          • May 2015

Thank you all very much, this is helped me out quite a bit!

Comment

Working...
          X