Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: least favorite task

Sometimes I get Border Block and a quilt will lay around unfinished for weeks at a time until I decide.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not having a video to watch and only printed instructions. Jenny has spoiled me with her video's.
    The ironing is also pretty boring

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I can honestly say that I have learned over the years to make sewing and quilting tasks as simple and easy as possible. I have been sewing and quilting for over 45 years. I have collected tools over all those years to make things easier for myself.
    1. I have always had the best sewing machine I could afford--starting out with a $79 Kenmore and now I own a Babylock Crescendo.
    2. I have always bought the best fabric I could afford. I started out buying flat fold fabric from the local Perry's or Ben Franklin's store. Now I shop MSQC and an occasional LQS purchase. Just because I couldn't afford expensive fabric has never kept me from sewing or quilting.
    3. I take excellent care of my sewing tools. I still have tools that I started out with. I have added to these tools by buying with coupons and shopping sales.
    4. My husband recently made me a wooden quilter's ironing board that sits atop my regular ironing board which belonged to my grandmother. That ironing board may very well may be over a 100 years old. It is literally made out of iron.
    5. I have chosen to spend money that I might have used to have my hair professionally colored or to buy more expensive clothes to buy quilting books, patterns, and magazines. I color my own hair and sew my own clothes as a trade off. I try to share magazines that I am finished with by taking them to the local nursing home. Women who no longer able to quilt still like looking at the pictures.
    6. I, too, bought two tables that are 30" wide and 8' long from my local Home Depot. Those tables have come in handy for yard sales, camp outs, and of course layering quilts.
    7. I consider all the tools, fabric, etc. to be an investment in my happiness and well being. My sewing room is a place to be creative and enjoy myself. I don't consider my stash to be one bit different than someone who buys cameras, running shoes, power tools, gardening tools, fishing boats, golf clubs or anything else that they enjoy doing.
    8. I have learned to enjoy each part of quilting. A sharp rotary cutter makes cutting out a quilt so much more fun. Piecing quilts is so much more fun when you are piecing with lovely fabrics. Binding is relaxing and pleasant while enjoying a tall glass of iced tea out on the patio or watching a movie in the evening. I think sometimes we get so involved in finishing that we forget to enjoy the journey.

Just my thoughts from my little home on the prairie

Jan

4. Thanks Deegles thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suzette View Post
    Years ago I bought two 60" X 30" tables at Costco. They fold up for easy storage and are fairly easy to move around. I keep mine folded up in a large walk in closet in the house I am in now, but I have kept them in the garage as well in a previous home. Anyway, I simply pull them out when I need to sandwich a larger quilt, push some furniture aside and butt them together to make a 60" X 60" work surface. Sooo much easier than crawling around on the floor.
    Great idea! I'm buying tables, can always use them for picnics, extra space for eating

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by janbee View Post
    I can honestly say that I have learned over the years to make sewing and quilting tasks as simple and easy as possible. I have been sewing and quilting for over 45 years. I have collected tools over all those years to make things easier for myself.
    1. I have always had the best sewing machine I could afford--starting out with a $79 Kenmore and now I own a Babylock Crescendo.
    2. I have always bought the best fabric I could afford. I started out buying flat fold fabric from the local Perry's or Ben Franklin's store. Now I shop MSQC and an occasional LQS purchase. Just because I couldn't afford expensive fabric has never kept me from sewing or quilting.
    3. I take excellent care of my sewing tools. I still have tools that I started out with. I have added to these tools by buying with coupons and shopping sales.
    4. My husband recently made me a wooden quilter's ironing board that sits atop my regular ironing board which belonged to my grandmother. That ironing board may very well may be over a 100 years old. It is literally made out of iron.
    5. I have chosen to spend money that I might have used to have my hair professionally colored or to buy more expensive clothes to buy quilting books, patterns, and magazines. I color my own hair and sew my own clothes as a trade off. I try to share magazines that I am finished with by taking them to the local nursing home. Women who no longer able to quilt still like looking at the pictures.
    6. I, too, bought two tables that are 30" wide and 8' long from my local Home Depot. Those tables have come in handy for yard sales, camp outs, and of course layering quilts.
    7. I consider all the tools, fabric, etc. to be an investment in my happiness and well being. My sewing room is a place to be creative and enjoy myself. I don't consider my stash to be one bit different than someone who buys cameras, running shoes, power tools, gardening tools, fishing boats, golf clubs or anything else that they enjoy doing.
    8. I have learned to enjoy each part of quilting. A sharp rotary cutter makes cutting out a quilt so much more fun. Piecing quilts is so much more fun when you are piecing with lovely fabrics. Binding is relaxing and pleasant while enjoying a tall glass of iced tea out on the patio or watching a movie in the evening. I think sometimes we get so involved in finishing that we forget to enjoy the journey.

Just my thoughts from my little home on the prairie

Jan
    Jan, I love your thoughts - they really capture the essence of quilters. You're right, as much as I don't like the hand sewing it forces me to slow down and "enjoy the journey". I, too, consider buying quality fabric and tools my " non-smoker, non-drinker, gray haired, inexpensively clothed" spending! #7 is the part I'm showing my DH - he always kids me about my stash and sewing machine upgrade. Thanks for the thoughts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you. I hand stitch the bindings which is not my favorite activity but am also crummy at trying to machine stitch a binding. It never works out looking nice!

Piecing is my favorite part of quilting. Just love combining the colors and shapes!

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love it all, but then, I'm weird. I wouldn't be able to sandwich and baste if I had to do it on the floor - I could get down there and get it done but I'd be stuck there until I was rescued. I'm lucky to have access to big huge tables so it's great.
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny how some people's worst things are others' favorite things.

I do not like the machine quilting, especially ones larger than a baby quilt. And I don't like the spray-basting the three layers, although I like it WAY better than pinning!

My favorite thing is picking the fabrics and when the blocks are pieced together, and the blocks put together with each other.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My least favorite is that my M* order flew in sight of my bedroom window and landed in San Francisco at midnight and apparently a crazy lady in her nightgown and bunny slippers is not allowed to roam around the postal sorting center alone!!! So I'm back in bed sans fabric, DD pens, and ruler.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love FMQing and don't mind hand sewing -I even find it relaxing. I still hate ironing, but at least blocks and quilt tops don't have sleeves and cuffs to screw up.