Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What type of quilter are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    I need to work on more than one project at a time because I get easily bored. I have quite a stash of UFOs but I'm systematically whittling away at them. I used to be a hand quilter but I gave that up several years ago when I got arthritis in my right hand. I don't put any pressure on myself to start or finish anything because quilting is my Happy Zone.

The beauty of sewing/quilting is that it can be what you want it to be at different stages of your life. It can be a hobby that you pick up from time to time or it can be your consuming passion and everything in between. It's all good....Enjoy!
    Thats just it, I do not put any pressure on, I love this craft, it is a passion. But dang life gets in my way. When I retire I will have plenty of time of course. But I want the time now. I like what you said about quilting being what we want it to be at different stages of our lives. So, maybe now I can piece many while finishing when I have someone I might give it to. Or something like that. Great thought.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love everything up through finishing piecing the top. Then I go into stall mode. I hate sandwiching, binding, and quilting. I also do not allow myself to have Ufos. This means that I sometimes delay starting a new project for a couple of weeks because I can't talk myself into finishing my quilts. And it frustrates me to no end. Just finish the thing so you can move on!

My one exception is that I have just learned English paper piecing so I am allowing myself to have that project going on while in tandem with my one "in progress" quilt waiting for finishing up.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I am a finisher.....no new projects til this one is done.
    I don't have any UFO's.
    I feel like I have put so much effort, love and time into the quilt top, it won't be truly pretty until it's finished and I can now see all my hard work in it's beautiful state.
    (but if I had more time I WOULD probably have a UFO or two lurking. lol)
    Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
    Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am a quilt top designer & maker. I never do my own quilting if I can avoid it!
    While the idea of free-motion quilting intrigues me, I have a hard time handling all the fabric & layers - most of my quilts are double- or queen- sized.
    I enjoy the process from idea to design to fabric selection to creating the top to match my "vision" - it is my form of artistic expression. Even working out the number of blocks to resize a project, or choosing sashing & borders is like working a puzzle.
    As soon as the top is done, I am ready to hand off the quilt to the long-arm quilter for the actual quilting - just brought another one in yesterday. I am happy to complete the job by binding the quilt. I do simple quilting or tying on smaller (baby or lap) quilts, and I do enjoy tying the memory quilts for my family members, especially if one of them is actually helping with it!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    In regards to UI's....at my age they are lost ideas if I don't get them going. Besides, they keep me awake nights.
    This is why there are notebooks everywhere I am! Especially by the tv and on my nightstand :-)

I don't have many UFOs...just 4 from classes. I'm not sure when those will get accomplished. I have such a huge list of things I want to do! I keep thinking I'll finish one between this or that, but then Jenny does another tutorial...
    Last edited by Kajenkids; May 20th, 2015 at 11:26 PM.
    Kathe

Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kajenkids View Post
    This is why there are notebooks everywhere I am! Especially by the tv and on my nightstand :-)

I don't have many UFOs...just 4 from classes. I'm not sure when those will get accomplished. I have such a huge list of things I want to do! I keep thinking I'll finish one between this or that, but then Jenny does another tutorial...
    Yeah, I have those notebooks too, but nothing holds as well as the pic in my head...........until it fades.

Heather Guest

I'm a piecer and not a quilter. I detest basting so I get stalled at that point. If I get through that, then I get slowed down by finding just the right way to quilt something. I also get held up by finding just the right pattern for my beloved stash. I've kept it, petted it, and brought it out to look at it so often I don't want the stash to be sad by going into an ugly quilt. Of course I always start something else right in the middle of whatever I already have going.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My quilting has changed mostly because of the machine I use. We I first started I used a machine that was 25 years old and wasn't able to finish most of mine. I made the leap to a machine with an 11 inch throat and now finish my own.
    The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kajenkids View Post

I have my zipped diary notebook sorta thing. All is written, at least most. The ones started, tops done, what needs to done, what projects are ready, etc. you get the idea. But it so does not help me get things finished. I am glad I have it, in fact, good reminder to update. Need to take it to work with me and work on it at lunch break. Oh and I never write down how much fabric I have. Because its never enough.

I always taught my youngest from highschool through her masters to keep a task list. She would be so up tight about being perfect and not forgetting and doing it all. If she would just write it down, it will not get forgotten and her mind can be clear for what is being worked on in the present. Guess that advice works for us quilters too

I am really enjoying reading everyones post. Hope there will be more. Share away....!!!
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've really enjoyed this thread Karen! Thank you for starting it

Terri