Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts on Negativity

I was just reading a thread about the tutorial Four Patch Frenzy and all the negative comments on the M* Facebook page. I didn't see it, but it confirms some research I saw that negative comments lead to more negative comments. If the negative comments are deleted or suppressed and a positive one remains, more positive comments are posted. In other words, the crowd follows the lead.

Yesterday I watched the free Craftsy class on Creative Quilt backs with Elizabeth Hartman. She does an outstanding job showing all the math and careful planning she uses for making very interesting quilt backs. So many of the class comments were negative, snarky, and rude. I kept thinking, "Then stop watching!" I don't understand why people have to comment that the class is boring or that the math is unnecessary. One said, "Why not just wing it?" There was no point in responding, "Go ahead and wing it, but that isn't what this class is about! This is for people who don't want to wing it." Furthermore, there were plenty of comments on her doing it "wrong" because she pressed her seams open. Quilt police everywhere!

I am saying all this to say THANK YOU! Thanks for keeping this forum a safe and friendly place. Thanks for lifting us up, supporting us in every endeavor. Thanks for reminding us that it is our quilt and we can do it as we want. Thanks for responding to questions, little or big, with helpful advice and encouragement. Thanks for being the place we can come for inspiration and a good laugh when we need it.
    ~Louise

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
    George Eliot

2. Thanks CraftHer thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thoughts on Negativity

I have also found that negativity makes for more negativity like wildfire. positive also breeds positive but not as fast as the negative for some reason. I often wonder are people so unhappy they are that quick to gang up and bad mouth people/things/ideas. as opposed to good is just well its good.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we are entirely free of negative comments here, things are a matter of perspective. I don't see a lot of negative comments regarding quilting habits, but I often see broad sweeping comments about generational differences that leave me disappointed.

Overwhelmingly people are supportive and stand up for one another here, so I keep returning. There are also some jokesters who always find a way of lightening the mood!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Louise, thanks for taking the time to appreciate all that we have on this forum.

This is like a virtual family for me and reminds me every day how much we can lift each other up in times of stress and in times of gladness.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There will always be negativity its a fact of life but I truly like how this forum does a better job then most to keep it in check. And its why most people thrive here because happiness also spreads when shared.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes negativity is just being honest.............

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    sometimes somethings are better left unsaid , if you can only say something negative.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    While negativity might be being honest there are ways to word things without being hurtful or like April said , you just move on.

This forum has had its days, but for the most part has been upbeat for quite a while now. I know it is a much better place to hang out when it is.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

And sometimes constructive criticism leads to better things. I'd hate to think where this world would be without it. But you can go ahead and wear that shade of purple that makes your face look like the aftermath of a bad beating, and I'll just tell you how pretty it is.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am always amazed at how a "word" can morph into another entirely different meaning. To me, negativity is pretty well surmised in this fashion.....

Negativity is a tendency to be downbeat, disagreeable, and skeptical. It's a pessimistic attitude that always expects the worst.

What I seek ( and can and is construed to be negative) is honest hard core truth, interject constructive criticism here. Being mean spirited (add that to the above definition) well....... therein lies the vast difference. I genuinely appreciate constructive criticism, mean spirited harpy-like opinions for the sake of a cheap thrill on someone's part, is truly objectionable. Much of which was/is exhibited on FB and other social media. The typewritten word is easily misconstrued, and it is up to the individual to interpret and not necessarily have a "knee jerk" reaction to. How often, as human beings, do we knee jerk? Quite often as a matter of fact! It's how we, the human animal, is built! Humor though, is the antidote, one emotion that should be practiced more religiously.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!