Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Log Cabin Quilt question

I think a narrow whote border and black & white binding maybe stripes or polka dots. Your quilt is teally pretty. Congratulations on cutting your strips out so you would have just enough for your blocks!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
    I watched a very informative tutorial on YouTube, not MSQC, about how to piece a log cabin quilt. It said to start with a 3 1/2" block for your center and to add 2" strips around it. I was wondering if a jelly roll was used, would you need to have a 4" square to start as your center? That way the proportion would be preserved. Or does it matter at all? I'm just curious what people have done (especially if you were pleased with the result!) I'm probably going to end up buying quarter yard cuts from a fabric store. I want to make a quilt for a friend who is battling breast cancer & she loves the color red. Michael Miller makes a red & white jelly roll, or I can just pick and choose my own fabrics. Wondering also what would work best for that starting square, colorwise. Would appreciate all creative comments. Thanks in advance.
    I am making a red and white log cabin right now. I am following Jenny's video for the 1 1/2 strips and I really love it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

you are making a very lovely quilt for your dear friend. I think depending on size you need a black border or if more size needed the white and black like the others mentioned. Please post finished pics when you're done!!
    Quilter since 2013.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate the input. I'm going to go ahead and make a narrow border with the same black fabric used for the center square, and use the red cloth I bought for the binding. I really like how that looks. I finished sewing my blocks together (after squaring them up to 11 3/4") and it needs no trimming! Came together so nicely. Here are a couple of pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150527_073422_resized.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	110401

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150527_073730_resized.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	110402

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That quilt us RED.... Which I love, and so will your friend.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love your Log Cabin.... In spite of what everyone says, I think LC quilts are hard to make... I tried to make one out of flannel, probably not the best idea I've ever had.... It was so hard to keep the blocks square... I finally gave up.. Thise poor blocks are hiding around here, somewhere.

I might try again.... You never know...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I read online that the two tips for making a log cabin quilt is to precut all your strips first, and to make the cuts lengthwise (instead of selvage to selvage "width of fabric.") That is supposed to be the key to success. Since I had 9" wide cuts from the bolt to work with, I had to do width of fabric cuts. That may be why I experienced some problems with the strips fitting just right. It might also be my quarter inch was off. I have an Opal (Viking) sewing machine, and the 1/4" foot doesn't have a blade underneath but rather you eyeball it to a red line on the edge of the foot. So easy to stray a little when doing that. I found my reading glasses help with keeping it on track!