Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Serger question

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Serger question

I have and old Bernette Funlock 006D serger. I rarely use it so I am not familiar with the "interior" workings and guts of the machine. Keep this in mind when I ask my question.

Using the machine yesterday to do a rolled hem on a table cloth the machine jams and when I pull out the jammed material and thread there is a 1 1/4" long piece of metal which looks like a broken sewing machine needle. EXCEPT there is no hole in the point end (where you would put the thread) AND the machine needle which was doing the stitching is in tact.

I re-thread the machine, begin again and project is completed and looks great.
    MY QUESTION: did I break something internally on the machine? Are there any "needle type parts" on the interior of the machine that may be necessary for other types of serger stitching? I'm at a loss to know what this piece of metal is???

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Serger question

How strange. Do you still have it to show a picture? Maybe it was an old needle that was stuck in there?

Lorie

3. Thanks minasoda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On my sergers, you use 1 needle to do a rolled hem. Could this be the second needle that came loose and got stuck in the project?

5. Thanks minasoda thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I think it may be a stitch pin, you should have 2 of them on the plate, and stitches can form correctly esp if you are using 3 threads

7. Thanks minasoda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say stitch pin, too. Also referred to as stitch finger.

Since machine sewed right, it can't be a looper. Some machines do have a different type of adjustment for a rolled hem.
    It's a thinner finger that appears when you turn or flip a knob. That is the one that could have broken.
    Last edited by Alpha O; May 15th, 2015 at 10:49 AM.

9. Thanks minasoda thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Mystery solved! Looked online and found it is part of the "serger needle plate". Funny thing is I never noticed them before. Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Mine came out and I glued it back in, but mine is not adjustable so I didn't lose any capabilities of the machine by doing that. Mine has a different plate that gets changed out to change the position of the finger.

12. Thanks minasoda thanked for this post