Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default memory quilt ideas

Good afternoon all. I'm new to the forum and hopefully this is the right place to put my question.

I want to make a memory quilt for my son who died 107 days ago (not that I'm counting). We don't have any pictures or anything, because he simply arrived too early and we lost him right away. We had a small box engraved with his name and birthday, and his ashes are in there along with his newborn outfit he was supposed to wear home from the hospital, but other than that we really didn't have anything unique to him.

An applique quilt seems the most obvious but I haven't done any applique before. We also don't have memories to illustrate on the quilt. I just don't know where to start. I have all the fabric ready to go (wonderful baby blues and whites) but am just stuck on a pattern. It seems pointless to just...sew.

thoughts?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: memory quilt ideas

You could make a small ( using 5 inch ( charm pack size ) squares.....( maybe using 3 squares across & 3 squares down ) something simple such as nine-patch ( just sewing the 5"x5" squares together )
    What about using clothing that you purchased for your son to make the small quilt.If you don't have any clothing, you might use nursery fabric instead. You could use a white square to write on as well. I would then place the small quilt under the box you described.
    My niece did something similar after the loss of their first daughter. The little urn and the small blanket is on a high shelf in their living room today.

Not sure if this would help you.......
    Sorry for your loss.
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; May 12th, 2015 at 03:39 PM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry for you. Just know that it will get better, just give it some time. redcaboose has a good idea. I don't have any other suggestions. Pat

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lisa.....so sorry to hear of you loss.

What about adding a block or several blocks that have a meaningful poem, quote or bible verse in embroidery.....in colors to match the fabrics that you already have picked out.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

sorry for your loss ((hugs))

How about a memory box?

https://www.pinterest.com/tball111/memory-boxes/

Just a different idea

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to a special quilt I did for our Bereavement Group here on the forum:

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gro...you-chica.html

If you would like, send me a private message and I will embroidery the saying for you to add to your memory quilt. My heart goes out to you . . . for many reasons.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

7. Thanks LMB27472 thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I saw the pictures. They are lovely. It's just so hard to get started. I've only ever "designed" one quilt before and that was simply a gift. This one means more. I also have to remind myself there's no deadline for this project. There's no rush.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LMB27472 View Post
    Thanks, I saw the pictures. They are lovely. It's just so hard to get started. I've only ever "designed" one quilt before and that was simply a gift. This one means more. I also have to remind myself there's no deadline for this project. There's no rush.
    Your memories and love will never fade. Even if you only do one single stitch a day, your son will always be loved. My heart breaks for you.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, we already did a memory box. i'm asking about a quilt now. i'd really like to make him a quilt.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

How about doves? Either applique doves - here's one from Nancy Zieman or for not-so-literal, a traditional one called Dove in the Window

I am so sorry for your loss. I think it will be cathartic for you to make this quilt. Lots of people release doves at funerals, symbolic of taking the spirit up to heaven.

Lots of love and good blessings to you.