Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default So grateful for you all

I didn't want to put this in quilting stuff, as it's sort of about quilting but mostly me just yapping. I'm not one to talk too much about myself too so I didn't include much in my 'intro' post a few weeks ago.

I spent many years living selfishly and self-destructively. When God, or whatever His or Her name is, finally slapped me upside the head (almost literally) a several years ago I finally discovered the strength to start making positive changes in my life, and a major factor in that is quilting. I've always done crafts - knitting, crochet, embroidery, painting. papermaking, weaving, the list goes on and on. When I took up quilting, I found something that, to me, was miles above the rest. I enjoy all aspects of it, from picking the pattern and fabric to hand-sewing the binding. When I finish a project I truly have an heirloom. I've given most of my quilting away to beloved friends as well as deserving people whom I don't even know and it feels wonderful.

About six years ago I had a terrible fall on the ice and broke my hip, knee, femur and cracked my skull. It was my own fault that I slipped - I was drunk and wearing clogs. I spent 2 months in the hospital and rehab facility, which gave me lots of sober time to think about my life. Since then I've gotten sober, gone back to church, and started back on the bipolar meds. I've still got problems, for sure! but they're pretty manageable now.

I live and work in a sweet little house in the middle of a huge, beautiful cemetery in Cleveland Ohio - weird, right? But for me it's just the most wonderful situation I could even imagine. With the damage I've done to my brain (even before I fell) I'm not smart enough anymore to be able to work hard enough to afford to live on my own, but I get this little house as part of my compensation, and a generous stipend that keeps me in health insurance, chocolate cake and quilt fabric. I cannot drive anymore, but I'm close enough to lots of stores to walk. My Walmart is two blocks away, and believe me, at 6 am it's my own private store! One of the greatest things about living here is that I get to quilt, like, ALL the time! My sewing room is just off of the office. It's rarely busy here, and when I'm not assisting clients I get to sew, and sew I do! I am truly blessed to have found this wonderful situation.

I didn't mean to run on like this, but I'm glad I did. You cannot even imagine how much it's meant to me to read this forum every day. You are all so kind, supportive, and helpful in so many ways. I just hope you know how much you can touch someone's life even if you might not realize it.

Thanks for letting me open up like this, it was cathartic for me. I know there are lots of you here for whom quilting is a saving grace. It sure is for me, and it's wonderful to have found a place I can share that.

Peace, love and strength to all - Pam Harris

2. Thanks irishrn thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So grateful for you all

Pam! You have just made my day. Thank you for sharing and for giving so much of yourself to this group of folksies who are just as crazy about quilting, textiles and fabric in general. Isn't it wonderful that we can cut up fabric, clothes, whatever we have and create something lovely out of it. That is what my goal in life is. To take all the tattered, scrappy stuff my life has been made of and create something lovely in the end. I think you will too.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

4. Thanks pharris123 thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Pam love your story. Just enjoy want you are doing and love life, you never know when it will be taken from us. Pam for the time being just enjoy every minute of what you are doing and your life will be full.

6. Thanks pharris123 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a great story - than you for sharing it with us! So glad you found us, too.
    Donna

8. Thanks pharris123 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pam, Thank you for sharing your life and heart with us. It's wonderful that your situation with housing and work is so comfortable for you. A job where you can sew when you have idle time...a quilter's dream!

10. Thanks pharris123 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the great forum. Glad you felt comfortable enough to share parts of your life with us.

Are you at the East Cleveland Cemetery? My husband has family buried there!! What a coincidence.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

12. Thanks pharris123 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pam, wishing you the very best in health, quilting and life!!
    Shirley

14. Thanks pharris123 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! I think I am jealous of your sew time!
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

16. Thanks pharris123 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pam you are a very brave and strong woman. You have opened your heart to the forum and we embrace you for that. Whenever times get hard, there are always people here to help you through, and ask me how I know. This virtual community of friends become family and will help and encourage you on your dark days and celebrate on the others.
    Grandma Nan

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

18. Thanks pharris123 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    Hi and welcome to the great forum. Glad you felt comfortable enough to share parts of your life with us.

Are you at the East Cleveland Cemetery? My husband has family buried there!! What a coincidence.

Holy cow you are all so sweet. I live in Evergreen Cemetery in Bedford. There aren't a lot of cemeteries left that have a keeper's cottage on the grounds. It's a holdover from the time before embalming when you had to bury someone quickly! I think I just get the house so they don't have to pay me as much!