Yellow Quilt Ideas - thoughts and ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quilting for fun
    4 Patch Pro
    • Nov 2014

Yellow Quilt Ideas - thoughts and ideas?

I've been collecting yellow fabric for a few years now. I have 6 1 yard cuts plus 5-6 fat quarters so I have plenty for a quilt - most are more on the modern side. I've been trying to think of a good pattern for a single colour quilt. I was thinking of making them into dresden flowers - either a scrappy flower or each flower be a single print. That or granny patch. I'm not sure on the granny patch idea because I think I would like something a bit more visually complicated.

I'm thinking of making different size dresden flowers and scattering them around a white on white print with some patchwork butterflies, birds or bees, and potentially adding some stem work.

I want it to be yellow and cheerful and a little modern but I'm having trouble starting and cutting into all of my fabric to start the quilt! I need convincing that even if I start cutting that there is new yellow fabric being made every day and that I can make more than 1 yellow quilt!

What do you think? Any other pattern thoughts? Or tricks to making that first cut?

Thanks!
  • starlover
    The Guild President
    • Nov 2013

Re: Yellow Quilt Ideas - thoughts and ideas?

It sounds beautiful!!! Just make that first cut and get started. You can't go wrong with dresdens. And yes, there will be plenty more yellows to catch your eye for more quilts down the road.

I'm having the same trouble but for a different reason. Wanting to make a 16 blade dresden quilt instead of 20 blades. I have to use a printed template instead of the dresden ruler, and I'm never confident that my cuts will be right when doing that. So, my fabric is still sitting there waiting to be used. Let us know when you get started, and I'll do the same thing

Comment

• quilting for fun
      4 Patch Pro
      • Nov 2014

Thanks! I am going to try to cut into the fabric this weekend - I have a long weekend so I will make the effort to at least cut one! My dresden template is a 16 petal dresden - it is the Nifty Notions Cut for the Cure Ruler - a 22.5 degree wedge. I bought it from a LQS before I knew about Missouri Star's templates. Funny - I was thinking that I would like a 20 petal template! I'll post the first dresden when I make it!

Comment

• DramaMama
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2014

"I need convincing that even if I start cutting that there is new yellow fabric being made every day and that I can make more than 1 yellow quilt! "

LOL

Breathe. There will be more yellow fabric. And by the time you get done working with your current yellow fabric, you will be ready to move on to some different yellow fabric.

btw -- your ideas for your yellow quilt sound FABULOUS! So ... start cutting!
        Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
        http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

• GrammaBabs
          Missouri Star
          • Aug 2010

Jenny has a Drunkards Path, that she did with white and Aqua that you might like,,, it's in one of Block magazines and also on the YouTube channel... I did it with JR strips sewn into strata and cutting the circles from that it came out nicely..
          "Each day well-lived and Happy;
          that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

• FabStripper
            Missouri Star
            • May 2014

I think your quilt sounds lovely and hope you have fun with it. I can't wait to see it.

Comment

• Kandee
              Prairie Pointer
              • Aug 2014

Nancy Zieman has a more modern Dresden pattern called Sew Grand that reminds me of windmills. From memory I think the quilt has two large Dresden plates and about six smaller ones. Just a thought.

SEW GRAND DRESDEN QUILTS DVD - DVDs - TV Show - Nancy's Notions
              :icon_happy: Don't worry, be scrappy!

Comment

• Sandy Navas
                Missouri Star
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by quilting for fun View Post
                I've been collecting yellow fabric for a few years now. I have 6 1 yard cuts plus 5-6 fat quarters so I have plenty for a quilt - most are more on the modern side. I've been trying to think of a good pattern for a single colour quilt. I was thinking of making them into dresden flowers - either a scrappy flower or each flower be a single print. That or granny patch. I'm not sure on the granny patch idea because I think I would like something a bit more visually complicated.

I'm thinking of making different size dresden flowers and scattering them around a white on white print with some patchwork butterflies, birds or bees, and potentially adding some stem work.

I want it to be yellow and cheerful and a little modern but I'm having trouble starting and cutting into all of my fabric to start the quilt! I need convincing that even if I start cutting that there is new yellow fabric being made every day and that I can make more than 1 yellow quilt!

What do you think? Any other pattern thoughts? Or tricks to making that first cut?

Thanks!
                I hate to be the one to tell you that you are a fabriholic and there is absolutely NO CURE. Would you like to see the stack of about 50 FQs I bought way back in 2004 and still don't have the nerve to take the ribbon off and cut a quilt - and I love them.

Now, to answer your question - I would do a web search for modern yellow quilt and check images until I found something I fell in love with. Sharpen those scissors and chop away.
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Juliet Taylor
                  Missouri Star
                  • Nov 2014

What a delightful idea! I saw quilt made by a quilter friend and it was all yellow and black fabrics and it was gorgeous! I know you said white but still, as long as yellow has a contrasting color, I think it would look awesome!

I've seen around some cool quilts, especially modern, made with yellow. Also a bag with gorgeous yellow fabrics that has inspired me so much so far (haven't made yet but I'm inspired ) Make it, Take it ? Big Patchwork Tote I hope it will inspire you too!

Start cutting and making dresden, I'm sure you'll be inspired by your own work as well! and then show us!!
                  My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

• Vonnie
                    Missouri Star
                    • Apr 2013

Wonderful idea!

What about using backing fabric since it's 108" wide so you can just sprinkle your flowers all over it?
                    Vonnie

Comment

• Hulamoon
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2012

I really like the dresden idea and the sprinkling. I love questions like this because I always find the best ideas for myself!

Sew Little Fabric by Paula Storm: "Summer Rain' my Modern Dresden Plate Quilt
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• LCQuilts
                        Prairie Pointer
                        • Feb 2012

Go on Pinterest and search "Yellow quilts".

Comment

• rebeccas-sewing
                          Missouri Star
                          • Apr 2010

Ladies - You are forgetting that once you cut into those beautiful fabrics you are going to make a beautiful quilt that you can display and admire for years to come. You'll enjoy those fabrics even more. YES! The stores will always be filled with beautiful fabrics in whatever color your little heart desires. Just think. You'll be able to wrap yourself in all that gorgeous fabric instead of just pawing. hahaha Get busy cutting up those beauties and turning them into something even lovelier. Speaking of which, my yellow bin is sorely lacking. I was just thinking the other day that I need to buy more yellow - fun, fun, fun.
                          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

• Preeti
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jan 2014

Yellow is on of my favorite colors. I am looking forward to what you decide. Heroes on yellow quilt that I made whenI started quilting.
                            Sew Preeti Quilts: Quilt # 5 - Sunshine Quilt
                            Preeti
                            http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Kandee
                              Prairie Pointer
                              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                              I really like the dresden idea and the sprinkling. I love questions like this because I always find the best ideas for myself!

Sew Little Fabric by Paula Storm: "Summer Rain' my Modern Dresden Plate Quilt
                              Oh my goodness, this is a beautiful quilt!
                              :icon_happy: Don't worry, be scrappy!

Comment

Working...
                              X