Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another buckeye!

Hi all,
    My only sewing history was taking a home ec class for a quarter 40 years ago! So when I say I'm very green, I mean really glow in the dark green! But totally loving it!

The last 3 years have been just insane for me and had left me abit shattered. To make a long story short, My father found out that he had pancreatic cancer, my sister found out that the breast cancer that we thought she was in remission for had come back... I took care of my Dad the last six months or so that he lived and 7 days before he passed away, my brother couldn't take the pain anymore and shot himself and died... And then 8 months ago my sister passed from the breast cancer.

So as you can well imagine.. I was a mess. One day while walking in Walmart, I seen a box that said "sewing made easy" and I thought why not? I really feel that the Lord had led me to that thought because I needed an outlet, a way to heal! So I took it home and after 4 days... I gave up and took it to my mom's house where my other sister and she figured out how to thread it. I put a piece of tape over the thread and taped it to the machine so that it would stay put!

And then I started cutting up squares and made my first rag quilt for my new grand-daughter! I watch a lot of video's and love to just sit with fabrics and iron and fuss with them until I get something or other made. And guess what? I LOVE it! I just got a "big girl" sewing machine, the babylock Crescendo and am over the moon about it! You can believe a beginner like myself just adores that laser beam guide! And getting a embroidery machine is also up super high on my list of things I want to learn as well, it is just so beautiful to look at everyone's work and I just love making things and giving them away to bless others because I know that love that a person pours out of themselves as they create is a big part of how God is healing me.

I didn't intend to get so personal, but ... well you know what they say about the plan's of mice and men!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another buckeye!

Hi Tina
    First I want to welcome you to the forum from Massachusetts.I hope you had a nice Mother's Day today.
    I am glad that you found us and I am sorry for all the pain you have had to endure through the last 3 years.
    I hope this will be a new beginning for you,you should be able to make many friends here as well as find any kind of support you need.
    Joan

3. Thanks Tinakaye thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. It is good to have you join in here. A great place to make great friends. There is lots of help here whenever you need it. So very sorry to hear of the losses you have endured. Crafting can really help to heal the heart.

Enjoy the forum.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

5. Thanks Tinakaye thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Tina!

7. Thanks Tinakaye thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for the things you have been going through. It's ok to share things like that here because there are lots of people who pray for each other. I'm glad you were led to find a way to begin healing. I, too, like quilting so that I can give them away. That's actually why I started quilting. Be sure and show us pictures of you quilts as you get them done. : )
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

9. Thanks Tinakaye thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Tina! I am so sorry for your losses. I just joined the forum this week also and everyone here makes you feel right at home. Where in Ohio do you live? We plan on retiring there once my husband retires from the Army *Go Buckeyes*

11. Thanks Tinakaye thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. I am glad that you found this wonderful craft that gives to others while healing ourselves.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

13. Thanks Tinakaye thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the forum
    Sewing and quilting are a very powerful source of healing ... glad you found it!
    My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

15. Thanks Tinakaye thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welcome2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	109229

to the forum from Ohio!!!
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

17. Thanks Tinakaye thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from a Georgia gal now in Cleveland OH (Cleveland Rocks!) Quilting is the best therapy - it saved my life. But now I'm addicted to fabric.... Whaddaya gonna do, eh? this is a great place for asking questions, everyone is so nice. Show us what you make!

19. Thanks Tinakaye thanked for this post