Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Giveaway Week 18 May 8th - 15th

I am proud to call me my Grandmother's twin! Many people have told me I am just like her, enjoy the same hobbies, have many of the same mannerisms and best of all cook like she did!
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mom was not expecting to get pregnant with me. She had 5 children and the last two pregnancies were not easy. The doctors said that it was risky for her to carry me to term, and the chances that I would make it alive were slim. The recommendation was to terminate the pregnancy for the sake of her health. Abort. Give up. Don't risk it.
    My mother said no.
    I'll be 50 next month.
    Thanks mom.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mom handed down her love of crafting to her daughters and
    to her granddaughters. She made some rather silly crafts but
    all were made with love. I still have an old potholder that has
    seen better days but I will keep it forever.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mom! I learned everything i know about sewing from her!
    Finished is way better than perfect!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 people in my life that were special to me. My mother was one of the best seamstress that I know along with being a wonderful cook. Unfortunely my dad passed when I was 9 and she had to work. She went to school and became a nurse. I admired how she went to work and took care of 2 kids by herself , unfortunley she had to work nights and didn't have time to teach me either of thoes things. Sadley I lost her 11 years ago. I also miss her every day.
    The other person is my bestist friend since we were 12 years old. She had always been there for me through thick or thin. When my son died she was my rock. She still is to this day. Fortunely I now also have 3 other BF's. That keep me going and visa versa. I am so fortunate to have these ladies in my life.

Jean Anne

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My best friend in high school was named Jen. Her mom, Diane, was amazing - treated me like another one of her children in the family. I'm not kidding - my family life was VERY screwed up. Diane had me over for dinner every Sunday night - and by dinner, I mean FEAST. At Christmas I got just as many gifts as her "real" kids. When I went away to college, my Mom and I were not on talking terms (we are now) - Diane is the one that sent me care packages, made sure I was doing ok, gave me bus money to come to her house for weekend getaways when I was feeling lonely, etc.

Diane was an AMAZING person - someone I'll never forget. Over the years Jen and I lost touch but I tracked down Diane (and her husband, Ray, who was just as amazing) and wrote them a very nice handwritten letter thanking them for taking care of me. I wanted to make sure they realized how much they meant to me and that I am who I am in a small part because of who they are and how they treated me.

Diane is the type of mom I hope I will be if I ever become a mom.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mom was the one who taught me not to bluff. Age 5 I was upset with her and told her I was running away from home. She physically picked me up and put me on the front porch and locked the door. I really don't remember what I did or what I said while I was standing there ... but was very sure the door would open soon. And it did!

While I was waiting for the door to open she was packing a bag for me - with PJ's, a towel and my favorite dolly. She was standing at the door with it in her hand and offered me a choice - take the bag and go or never make a threat I wouldn't back up with action.

Most important lesson of my life!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

My mother was a very sickly woman so growing up, my older sister really tried very hard to take care of all of us younger kids. She was always magical in my eyes. She was always smiling and laughing and full of love and joy! Later on in life our Mother was somewhat stronger and tried to "be the mother" more, but my sister always got Mothers day cards as well from me for really loving us.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Myrna.

I wasn't real close to my Mom but I obviously loved her a lot. My daughter-in-law is a wonderful mother to my precious grandchildren.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mom passed on her love of sewing to me. Although she's gone now, I think of her every time I sit down at my machine,