Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Giveaway Week 18 May 8th - 15th

My mom passed away 6 years ago. She was a hard working woman who raised 7 children. On of the things I remember most was her being in Hospice before she died. You could look into her eyes and see her loving soul. That's how I'll always remember her.
    Mary

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations MRoy! My mom once drove 500 miles just to help me during the final weeks of pregnancy. My husband (now ex) was too busy with volunteer work to help out with our four sons after I got sick. Once she found out, she was on her way, cried to get out of a speeding ticket while on her way, and stayed until I was on my feet after delivering my fifth son. During that time we spent a lot of time together and we did many special things like the two of us going out for breakfast on "Senior Thursday" at a local buffet, lunch after doctor appointments, stopping at yard sales (otherwise forbidden to me ) and napping! That son is now 27 and I still think about how much she sacrificed for me and made those last, miserable weeks memorable.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Woo Hoo! That quilter's cash will go well with the other gift cards I bought. LOL!

I'm the youngest of 3 children. There was an age gap between the older two children. They married and left home while I was younger and my growing up years were like being an only child most of the time. My mom was able to devote more time to me. She taught me so much, like sewing. She especially showed me the best example of an honest, compassionate, God-loving woman that I could ever have. Mom passed away two weeks after Mother's Day seven years ago. I miss her greatly, but I have wonderful memories of my life with her.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, MRoy.

I have had many amazing women in my life, including my mother, my grandmothers, and great-grandmothers, but I am especially thankful for my daughter who is a wonderful mother to my granddaughter.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

The woman who inspired me to become a quilter was my grandmother, Helen Jones. She taught me how to sew and decided I needed to make my own quilt for my college dorm room before I left for college. I made what she called a "crazy quilt", but looks a lot like a traditional log cabin quilt. I decided it had to be a bright and colorful quilt and chose bright red, yellow and blue solids along with a colorful backing print. I still have this quilt and whenever I look at it, I think of Nana. There are scraps from our clothing and some prints that were my favorite then, but make me smile today. I miss that wonderful woman who was so patient with me as I first used her treadle Singer machine. She was so very excited when I bought my first sewing machine of my own, a Kenmore, that I used for at least 30 years before it needed to be replaced.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I must say my Grandmother instilled something in me that I have and no one can take away. She taught me a lot, not really meaning too. She always remained calm. She would laugh if I screwed something up (I laugh at my own mistakes). She would laugh at my jokes even if they were not funny(my best audience) and she was very precise with mechanical natured things. I would call her a perfect sewer. She always took her time (I kinda rush things and still need to learn this). She would play games with me even if she didn't want to (I know she didn't want to but there was no one else around to play with me). She taught me to work hard with no complaints. (She would dig graves at the cemetary with my grandfather....she was the caretaker....the lawn mower and I know she was highly underpaid). I admire all of those things about her. I am still working on a lot of those things. Let's face it life is somewhat frustrated but you would not know it if you were around her. She bought me my first sewing machine which I still have and is such a work horse. That purchase taught me to read the "constructions" of the garmet. It also taught me patience.
    I miss her much.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter, she's the most amazing young woman!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations MRoy!!!

The two most important women in my life were my Aunt Marilyn and my MIL Vera without a doubt. Both very loving, supportive and FUNNY! Aunt Mary instilled the " hard work won't kill ya" ethic patience and perseverance. Along with the value of a hug and a kiss every Summer night I had to spend with her and my crazy loveable Uncle Marion. Both taught me how to be a kid! Vera, oh not enough words for this loving, gentle woman, how Blessed I was to have her enter my life. She taught me how to properly "snort" in uncontrollable laughter and got me started in quilting, though as she said, " I really stink at this!" She was such a hoot! I've often said "What you get shorted in Life, God makes up for in some way or another." Both of these wonderful, loving, strong and talented women have now passed, but they are ever present in my heart and thoughts.
    Last edited by Carrie J; May 10th, 2015 at 12:13 PM.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

UN-Biased

Washington State, The Beautiful Columbia Gorge area.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats MRoy.

My mom would be the special one in my life. She taught me everything that I know. She was the sweetest lady. We had good laughs to the point of crying, but was not really sure what was so funny by the time we were done! We just had a lot of good times. It's been 17 years since she passed and I miss her so much. I love you mom, happy Mothers Day

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mom and grandmother were so special - They taught me so many things (beauty, gentleness, giving, love) - I thank God for them and how they shaped my life. Miss them so much -