Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowballing Tip

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Snowballing Tip

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I just discovered something on a quilt I'm making. I am making Jenny's Fence Rail Quilt with Diamonds, which requires me to snowball two opposite corners of each block I'm making. I've noticed that my snowballs are a little short when I sew directly on the diagonal of each square. If I sew just a smidge (even less than a 16th of an inch) towards the soon to be cut off side, my squares lie perfectly. They press out fully to the sides of the block. If you sew directly on the line, they seem to me just shy of making it fully to the sides/corner. Just thought I would share. It was starting to stress me out, but now I feel so much better once I figured out how to fix this. Happy sewing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq0Oo3K7-1I

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Snowballing Tip

Sure hope I remember this when I'm ready to do some more snowballing. And that's in my future.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Deffinately do it the way that works best for you, I've never had an issue using Jenny's method. I made a snowball, 4 patch and it's one of the best quilts I've done. I do the press the line method.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just put the Big Star on my to-do list. This tip will really help ... Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard this tip before and it really works. It helps get past the hump of the thread and folds much flatter and reaches the edge of the block perfectly. Just one thread over from the pressed fold is perfect.

Thanks for the reminder.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this! I find, just like you, that my blocks come out perfect if I am a thread or two over from the line versus sewing right on it. Your posting of this handy little tip will help others who might not have known this before.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember this tutorial' Thanks for the tip!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This trick also works if you have trouble with keeping Flying Geese blocks straight. I still make them the old fashioned way.
    Grandma Nan

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this tip...I was getting frustrated and stating to hate doing snowballs. Can't wait to try this!
    Every great human achievement is preceded by extended periods of dedicated, concentrated effort-Brian Tracy

Life is not a rehearsal!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I just discovered something on a quilt I'm making. I am making Jenny's Fence Rail Quilt with Diamonds, which requires me to snowball two opposite corners of each block I'm making. I've noticed that my snowballs are a little short when I sew directly on the diagonal of each square. If I sew just a smidge (even less than a 16th of an inch) towards the soon to be cut off side, my squares lie perfectly. They press out fully to the sides of the block. If you sew directly on the line, they seem to me just shy of making it fully to the sides/corner. Just thought I would share. It was starting to stress me out, but now I feel so much better once I figured out how to fix this. Happy sewing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq0Oo3K7-1I
    Is it possible anyone due to thread thickness? Has anyone tried smaller thread? I wonder if this would help. I will have to try this for myself.

11. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post