Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snowballing Tip

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Snowballing Tip

Would this be the same as using a scant 1/4"? I'm directionally impaired. Since I have never done the snow ball technique, I didn't know if that side is the same side as when you move your needle over for the scant.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deegles View Post
    Is it possible anyone due to thread thickness? Has anyone tried smaller thread? I wonder if this would help. I will have to try this for myself.
    It is because of the thread. I use 50wt. No matter the thread it will still take up a small bit of space. So to make the fold better, sewing over one thread width helps.

Deegles, yes it is sort of equivalent to a scant 1/4 inch
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

3. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In my quilting class I was taught to stitch the width of the needle beside the press, or marking, line when snowballing, not right on the line. It works well for me that way. The same is true when making flying geese. It always pay to square every time to make sure everything is the same & will match up ok. When doing that Diamond Rail Fence, it helps to press the seams in the opposite directions so those center diamonds match up better.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

This is an older post but I want to say thank you. I am working on a Diamond Fence Rail quilt with additional 1.5" corners. I am getting so frustrated.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I take this one step further and draw the line a smidge off to the right instead of perfectly on the diagonal. That way I can still stitch right on the line and be over that tiny little bit that makes for a perfect snowball block.

I know some quilters don't mark their squares for snowballing, but I almost always do and this has worked well for me.
    Last edited by Suzette; December 17th, 2018 at 10:09 AM.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

8. Thanks Marty thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I always do them the way you did! works well.

10. Thanks Marty thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Since my Bernina lets me shift the position of the needle, I always shift it to the right one step when sewing any kind of bias seam, especially when snowballing. That way I can just follow the line whether pressed or marked. The only drawback is to remember to shift it back to center before stitching straight seams afterwards.

Another tip is to stitch again about half an inch to the outside of the main stitch line, then cut between the stitching. That gives you a small half-square triangle for every snowball corner. These make great borders and sashing, either as a sawtooth or pinwheels or hourglass blocks.
    Last edited by sottwell; December 18th, 2018 at 03:04 PM.

12. Thanks Marty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Snowballing is not my favorite thing to do. I figured out on my own, that sewing on the line did not work for me. I sew ~1 needle width off the line. When making flying geese or snowballing, I have used Donna Jordan's tip of leaving the fabric in place to press before trimming off the triangle. That way you know for sure the corner is going to be square. Yes, this is an old tutorial, as you can tell by a younger Jenny & a different studio set-up & equipment. This tutorial was the first pattern I made after joining M*. I used FQs from my stash. In order to get a full 6.5" width on the 3 strips, I found I needed to sew a very scant 1/4".

14. Thanks Marty thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I also don't trim off the corners till I have pressed the corner back. I want to make sure I have enough.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently discovered that my laser beam on my BabyLock Destiny would make it SEW much easier. Oh My, love my LB.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon