Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy Birthday to Joe!

It took me two afternoons but I finally completed the "Bionic Gear Bag" for Joe's birthday. I was so excited about it that I gave it to him today instead of waiting until Sunday (his birthday is on Mother's Day this year). Seeing you all making these bags made me think it would be perfect to give to the guy who is so hard to buy for. That guy is Joe. Most of what he wants is too hard for me to buy for him since it's usually electronics and/or computer stuff. Anything he really wants he just buys for himself. He likes the gear bag and has decided it will be great for all the little things that keep getting lost in the car.

It looks blue in the photos, but it's actually a soft, thin black denim. I had fabric left over from an apron set I gave to our landlord's wife in London before we left. The plaid is from one of Joe's old shirts. I'm so glad I didn't trash it or give it to charity. I didn't have a 22" zipper so I used a 20" for the zip that closes the bag. I had some 10" zips that I used for the pockets and just cut off the ends to make them the right length. The bag doesn't open up as far as it would with a longer zipper but it doesn't matter for Joes' purposes. He has a bunch of awesome zipper pulls so he pulled five of them out and put them on the zippers. It really looks great!

Honestly, there were a lot of directions to the pattern that needed some tweaking. Too much chatter and not enough concise instruction. More visuals and close-ups would've made a big difference. I'm an experienced sewer and there were a couple of times I was saying "WHAAAAAT?" and there was a bit of "pirate talk" as our JeanSewingMachine likes to call it. The one thing I'd really like to change is the depth of the folds that hold the edges of the pockets. A half inch would be so much better than a quarter inch. It would throw off the pattern so some calculations would be necessary. Anyway, I will definitely make myself one of these. I now have a great go-to gift for guys! Yay!

If you've purchased the pattern, I highly recommend you watch the Youtube tutorials on how to make the "Bionic Gear Bag." I wish I had watched that while I was making the bag. It would have gone a lot faster.

Joe asked why it's called Bionic. I said I have no idea since there is nothing bionic about it that I can see. hahaha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6227.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	108818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6228.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	108819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6229.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	108820
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 5th, 2015 at 04:00 PM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Happy Birthday to Joe!

That turned out great Rebecca. The colors go so well together. I know when I made my Sew Together Bag I used a longer zipper on the outside than what it called for. I love how it opens so wide that way.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Karen. When I make one for myself I'll use a longer zipper. What length do you think you used? We're probably going into Utrecht on Saturday and I'll pay the zipper lady a visit at the Fabric Mart. I need to decide what I'm making mine out of so I get the right color zips.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think my outside zipper was a couple inches longer than what they called for.

Tell Joe Happy Birthday!
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking Bionic bag!!! One of these days . . . . I may make/try one.
    ***Kathy***

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Happy birthday, Joe! Hope you enjoy your a Bionic Bag full of many treasures! And now we may have Rebecca in our " hooked on zippers" group! Have fun making your bag, Rebecca!

Had to chuckle when you had to explain the blue looking outside was really black! Reminds me of the " dress" that was so tweeted a month ago! Is it black and blue, or white and gold?

PS, Rebecca, I agree with every one of your comments about directions and design features!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great job! Hard to make a gift for a man. Loved that you used an
    old shirt, looks great together.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, if Rebecca, Jean and Karen can follow those instructions, so can I. Not next on my list, but sure getting closer to the top.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I really want to try it too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Okay, if Rebecca, Jean and Karen can follow those instructions, so can I. Not next on my list, but sure getting closer to the top.
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy, This would be great to give Al. Only problem is keeping it a secret from him assuming most days you two are in the sewing studio together. Maybe you could tell him you're making it for someone else in the family.

Jean, Here's a pic of that denim taken in the flat in London. It sure looks black in that photo don't you agree? It's hard to believe it's the same fabric! Seriously, I'm not lying. It's the same stuff.

Name:	IMG_6227.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	108858

Name:	IMG_1796.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	108857

Joe says, "Thanks for the birthday wishes."
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 6th, 2015 at 04:33 AM.