Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help, what is my problem? tension? broken machine?

I am soooo upset. It is raining here in North Missouri so I get a day off from outside chores with DH! Yeah! So, I'm thinking I get to sew! I am into making totes and bags. One of my favorite parts has always been the handles but today I can't seem to get one done. I have never had to change the tension on my sewing machine. I have re-threaded my machine as well as replacing the bobbin several times to make sure it is in correctly. It keeps knotting up on the under side. My machine if a Brother 400, I believe. I always make my handles the same way....has 2 layers of fusible interface (987) and the 4 layers of fabric.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help, what is my problem? tension? broken machine?

Make sure the tension disks are releasing when you thread the machine. A piece of broken thread caught in that area can cause things to go wonky. Make sure the bobbin is loaded to spin the right way and the bobbin thread is caught in its tension clip. Bunching thread below usually means the upper tension disks aren't working correctly, usually from lint or thread caught in them.

3. Thanks Casi thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You may need to change your needle as well.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

5. Thanks Casi thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest changing the needle too. Have you unscrewed the plate and cleaned out the bobbin area good?

Mine was doing a little of that today also, twice it was a minor threading error on top ( my concentration was running down hill as the day went on). Another time it occurred because I had the bobbin so the thread was coming from the right hand side instead of the left.

I have a 400 also.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

7. Thanks Casi thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the responses! I don't really know what was the major problem! But I did all the above and then I tried some regular sewing; then went back to my bag handles and got it finished up just fine....sewing just the way it always did! It just wasn't my day! Got my bag finished so the day wasn't a complete waste. Plus I took a break and went to my LQS and bought some fabric to make me feel better! lol

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad it got straightened out.

One time I was having trouble with a bag handle. So I finally pulled out the manual for troubleshooting. Realized I needed a different needle! I had the wrong size needle in. It needed to be larger. I believe it had to be a size 16 needle and I was using something like a size 12. Next time I do handles I will double check to make sure I have the right needle in.
    Vonnie

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    Glad it got straightened out.

One time I was having trouble with a bag handle. So I finally pulled out the manual for troubleshooting. Realized I needed a different needle! I had the wrong size needle in. It needed to be larger. I believe it had to be a size 16 needle and I was using something like a size 12. Next time I do handles I will double check to make sure I have the right needle in.
    Funny how fabric and thread can bring us so much angst and so much joy all in the same day. Hmmmmmmm kind of like children and spouses...........LOL!!!!
    Blessings!

Donna