Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Basting a queen size quilt.......I have failed.

I *tried* basting together the queen size quilt top I recently finished, and totalllllly failed to get it right. I laid it out on the floor and thought I had done a great job at smoothing all 3 layers out. I pinned it all and was pleased that it had been easier than I thought. UNTIL..............I picked it up off the living room floor. To my dismay, the backing fabric was a mess and I had pinned pleats and wrinkles in many places. **insert some cussing here**

So lets have it ladies and gents. How do you sandwich a quilt that size without all the wrinkles and pleats. I need some help and suggestions. I do NOT want to do that much work again and have bad results........SAD FACE!
    Blessings!

Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Basting a queen size quilt.......I have failed.

If you are using floor, smooth the backing out well and duct tape it down at the corners and a couple places along the sides. Just enough to hold it in place while you smooth out and baste the rest. Works every time for me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sharon schamber's or is it scambert? method, it is posted on You Tube. It is a great way to baste your quilt together without having to crawl around on the floor. You will need two long skinny wooden boards. I just used some old bed slats that were in my attic. Have even basted quilts a foot wider than my boards and it still turned out fine. This does involve basting by hand tho...I find that if tou have basting needles (Roxanne) it makes the job easier. The basting stays in very well but you do have to snip threads as you quilt rather than quilting over them. I HQ so that is not a problem for me, machine quilting it might be trickier. It takes me about 2-1/2 hours to hand baste an entire quilt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a wall large enough us can tape the backing fabric to it. There's a YouTube video someplace where a woman uses her dining room table and clamps.

I just use painter's tape to tape the backing to the floor and then spray baste the layers together.

5. Thanks Bjvarizona thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I basted a full sized quilt on the floor, I taped the backing down with tape first so I could visually see nothing was amiss. Then I did the other layers and spray basted.
    Since then I began spray basting on one long banquet table. I kind of the do the roll/fold and baste as you go method and it's working great and no more sore knees either.
    One time when I run out of spray baste, I pin basted some lap sized quilts even thought they were bigger than the table without any problem. I pinned one section/side at a time, gently slid the sandwich over and repeated.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had to find a way that did not include crawling around on the floor, these old bones just can't do it. My step-son made me a design wall that I can spray bast.
    The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Although I am not able to get down on the floor to baste a quilt, I have done twin and lap quilts on my queen sized bed. I use the spray method of basting. I get the backing laid out and use painters or masking tape to hold it in place. Then I put each layer of the sandwich on using the spray adhesive. I cover my bed with a king sized mattress pad I can wash so I don't get the adhesive on my bed. I send my larger quilts to a wonderful LAQ'r who does the sandwiching for me. Bless her and her expertise.

I can only shudder at finding the pleats and folds in your sandwich when you thought you were done. I hope some of the suggestions help.

Heather Guest

I'm a floor & pin baster too, taping the bottom with painters tape will help with the wrinkles. Also, you can try not fastening the pins shut, just insert them all the way like you normally would. When you are all pinned you can bring the sandwich up off the floor and close the pins before you quilt it. Less time spent on the floor that way. I hope it works better the next time which ever method you use. At least you caught the wrinkles before you quilted!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I laid my queen backing down on my Berber carpet downstairs and pinned all the edges with long straight pins lengthwise into the carpet. My husband helped a lot on the opposite side so I didn't have to crawl so much. Then I used spray basting. One nice thing about spray basting...if you make a wrinkle you can just gently lift it out and resmooth the area and it will stick again. After that, the batting wasn't so difficult. I did put in some big safety pins at the edges after I was done spraying and putting the top on it.

I want to learn a way that will get me up off the floor, though.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

After sandwiching many quilts, I have discovered that it is essential to clamp the backing to a table. Mind you, it should not be stretched tight at all. It should be smoothed out and then clamped in place. I use plastic clamps that I bought at a local hardware store. I use this method and it works well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw4sibuP8n4. If I don't clamp the backing it gets bunched up and that's not a good thing. I just sandwiched a baby quilt. It reached over the sides of the table in one direction but not the other, so I used painter's tape to hold down those edges. Once the backing is clamped down I add the batting, then remove the clamps and re-clamp. Then I lay on the quilt top, remove the clamps and re-clamp. Once that's done I pin baste with the clamps in place. I use this to close the pins Amazon.com: Kwik Klips - A Tool for Pin Basting Quilt Layers. It really saves my fingers. I pin about fist distance apart all over the quilt. It really doesn't take that long and it makes all the difference. I'm not in a position to use basting spray where I'm living. Even if I could I don't think I would spray a large quilt. I only use spray on small projects.

If I was in the U.S. I would set up my other folding table so I'd be working on two tables if I was basting a queen-size quilt. I love the folding tables since they can easily be stored away when I'm not using them. I set them on bed-risers so they are higher to avoid so much leaning over. Not good for the back. I have a great chair that Joe bought me that goes up and down. I can raise it to sit high at that table and lower it to a nice height for working at my machine. Getting down on hands and knees is not a good way to sandwich a quilt. Maybe if I was thirty years younger but since I'm in my sixties that is not an option for me.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; April 23rd, 2015 at 05:58 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.