Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A clever idea recycling for a quilt display

Had to chuckle when I read about some keeping the crib their children slept in. In the attic in Chicago is the crib I slept in - in the late 40's! My mom couldn't get rid of it either ...

Sad part is I don't want to part with it. So there it sits along side the highchair she kept too!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingtrish View Post
    It's a great idea! So many slats to use. I was driving home from my Dad's one night about a year ago and saw a white one sitting out for the trash. It didn't take me long to pop it into my car. I took off the hardware (gave all that to hubby to put in his garage) and I just lean the 2 sides up for hanging quilts. I have so many wall hangings, it's great for them cause you can get more of them on for display. I don't think DH would appreciate it if I would hang every single wall hanging I ever made. I would have a new wall color for sure!
    The reason why a lot of the older cribs are being found sitting out waiting for the trash man to pick them up is that since 2011 cribs that have sides that can be let down have been BANNED in the US and Canada. According to one article I read, you aren't allowed to sell the old cribs to someone who is going to use it for their baby.....it's against the law, although if you seen one getting ready to be destroyed, I don't think it would be a problem to turn it into a Quilt Rack !!!

Here's the article.......
    http://www.huliq.com/10473/drop-side...ng-or-donating

There's been a lot of babies / children who have been killed or injured in the older style Drop Side Cribs......When my son had his first child in 2012, I remarked on the fact that the sides didn't go down, and he just made mention that it was a new style of crib for safety reasons, he didn't mention that drop-side cribs had been banned.....and I didn't ask, Although just a couple of weeks ago, I have read a couple of YouTube posts from people who have commented on YouTube videos where the viewer has seen a used drop side crib being used, and basically the TEEN mom whose video channel this woman was watching ignored all the warnings from others who commented about the crib ban.. Which brings me to another point.....I found out that there's a lot of pre-teen and teen girls who are getting pregnant and DOCUMENTING their pregnancies on YouTube.com and making a lot of $$ per month ( some are making as much as $3,500.00 ( that's no mistake 3.5 K) per month ! (it does take effort to build a channel with a lot of subscribers....but wow....i wish I could figure out a way to make $3.5K per month....however, I don't think my cat Mason ( 16 months old ) has any special talents, and I can't imagine someone wanting to watch another Quilting YouTube Channel ! LOL

I would love to find an old crib along side the road for displaying quilts too....but DH John ( who is a 4th generation carpenter ) said that it wouldn't be too hard to make a display rack.....maybe if I keep my fingers crossed he will surprise me....!
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; October 10th, 2017 at 02:43 AM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better."

Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shermur View Post
    Is this a recycled baby crib? Neat idea! Here's one my DH made for me......
    Attachment 107602
    Sherri....lucky gal !!! Looks really nice !
    Name:  th7GRS30VGLazy Gar.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  8.6 KB

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better."

Maya Angelou