• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stacie
    Quilting Royalty
    • Sep 2013

Does Kona fabric bleed?

I'm ready to put borders on a tshirt quilt. I think the inner border needs to be dark to put a stop to all the busy fabrics in the quilt top. My problem is I can't get this burgundy solid to stop bleeding & I'm terrified to use it in this quilt just to have it ruined the first time it's washes! (I've washed the burgundy with color catchers and white rags & the dye turns the catcher and the rag pink.) I've already gone out of town twice looking for a good quality fabric and haven't ordered online because it isn't easy to match without seeing it in person. Would anyone suggest ordering Kona or just changing to a lighter color border even if it doesn't looks as good? image.jpg
  • stationarymom
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2013

Re: Does Kona fabric bleed?

Have you washed it with color catchers? if not wash with 2 or 3 and repeat until it doesn't bleed any more.Don't dry between washings.
    :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• Terry L
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2014

I've never had a problem with Kona fabric. I think you can buy it at a Hancock Fabric Store and maybe a Hobby Lobby Store.
      The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

Comment

• stationarymom
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2013

I guess I skipped over part of your post sorry for giving advice you already knew about.
        :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• ceiliam
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2014

I have used kona for years and alot of it dark i have never had any prob with it bleeding

Comment

• Deegles
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2014

Fabric only bleeds if you cut it! LOL

On a more serious point, I think if washed incorrectly all fabric has the potential to bleed. If you decide to become a Kona fabric owner here is a tip. When working with it if the dye seems to get on your hands the bleed potential is higher. I think if you washed the fabric before hand with vinegar it would set the color. And then if you pop it into the dryer this helps set the color as well. I have neutrals of this line of fabric so bleeding isn't a problem for me.
            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Vonnie
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2013

If I'm reading correctly, the Burgundy fabric is not Kona?

I also have not had a problem with Kona. I'm currently using black Kona in a quilt. I do plan on washing it - but that is because I used a lot of spray basting on it. I plan on using a couple of color catchers with it.
              Vonnie

Comment

• stitchwishes
                The Guild President
                • Jan 2015

I've seen a lady on YouTube suggest dampening a paper towel and rubbing it on the fabric to see if any dye transfers.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2012

I just wanted to say I like how you did your blocks and can't wait to see the whole quilt!
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

• jjkaiser
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2013

I made a rainbow quilt out of kona JR classic colors and backed with kona black. I did not pre-wash JR strips, just pre-washed the backing. I did use 2 color catchers in the wash and was nervous about bleeding cuz with so many bright colors, surely something would bleed. I mean come on, red and orange next to yellow? Guess what?No bleeding anywhere. At all. I did tell my DD to use CC for the next two washes just to be on the safe side. And that's my story.
                    Jocelyn
                    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• Peggi
                      Designer Diva
                      • Aug 2010

No need to buy more fabric, here's how to permanently fix that bleeder. If it's a lot of yardage, fill your bathtub with very hot water, about 140° F. If it's not a lot of fabric, you can use a bucket or the kitchen sink, just make sure there's plenty of water for the fabric, don't let it be crowded. Add a dab of Dawn dish detergent and the fabric. Let it sit 12 hours or overnight. Then drain and dry. Test it with a damp white cotton towel to make sure, but it should no longer bleed.

Vinegar doesn't work on the newer synthetic dyes.

Comment

• Stacie
                        Quilting Royalty
                        • Sep 2013

I gave up on the burgundy and went to the LQS. I found 2 Kona solids that I prewashed with no bleeding at all. I still think the dark color would have looked great but not worth the risk of ruining the finished quilt! All I have to do is get it sandwiched & quilted. image.jpg

Comment

• Stacie
                          Quilting Royalty
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Peggi View Post
                          No need to buy more fabric, here's how to permanently fix that bleeder. If it's a lot of yardage, fill your bathtub with very hot water, about 140° F. If it's not a lot of fabric, you can use a bucket or the kitchen sink, just make sure there's plenty of water for the fabric, don't let it be crowded. Add a dab of Dawn dish detergent and the fabric. Let it sit 12 hours or overnight. Then drain and dry. Test it with a damp white cotton towel to make sure, but it should no longer bleed.

Vinegar doesn't work on the newer synthetic dyes.
                          I gave up on the burgundy for the tshirt quilt. But, I've got 2 yards of it and I'm going to try this method so maybe I could use it in a different project. Thank you!

Comment

• Gr8DaneDad
                            Beginning Stitcher
                            • Mar 2015

I have used just about every color of Kona solids and have never had a bleeder.

Comment

Working...
                            X