Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grrr, ready to toss everything and start fresh....

I am making the Disappearing Hourglass quilt. I'm at the point where I can start cutting into the 9 squares, but I've noticed that my squares aren't squared. (And I took great care in making sure seams were almost perfect too.). Should I square them up, and how would I do that, or just go on and make them work?

I'm ready to just toss all 42 squares, buy new layer cakes and start over.

Thank you for helping this beginner out.
    Last edited by CarolSmall; April 13th, 2015 at 10:29 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grrr, ready to toss everything and start fresh....

Pictures is a big help

What measure is the 9 squares ?

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Carol,

I feel your pain. My first quilt I used three different sewing machines to piece my top. Each foot was different. I didn't realize a quarter inch isn't the same on every machine foot. I ended up buying more fabric and making additional blocks to get them to a size that would work.

I think the best thing would be to square up the blocks. Do you have a square ruler that is big enough to square two sides at once. I'm probably not explaining it very well. I have different size square rulers that I can use. You will need to cut them down to the size of the smallest block you have.

No one will ever know that you had to cut them down. Keep going and don't get discouraged, it all works out and I have yet to finish a really beautiful quilt. I started some really ugly ones, but by the time they were finished I was in love with them.

Please post some pics of your work we love to see peoples creativity.

4. Thanks Jewel thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Carol,

How I feel your pain, quilting is supposed to be fun and not stressful!! I have scrapped some projects because of this issue, squaring up blocks for me was like my mom cutting my bangs. Square a little here ..oops we'll try that again until I had no block (or bangs) to speak of LOL.

I finally determined that my issue was with the Omni Grid rulers I was using not to mention my over 40 eyes. I just was not making accurate cuts because of the yellow on the ruler and thanks to a generous gift from my boss, I bought some Creative Grids rulers!. I cannot tell you how much of a difference they have made for me.

I made 14 blocks over the weekend for my DGD quilt and couldn't believe how consistent and accurate they were in size! Don't know if this could be part of your issue or not just a thought.

A picture of my consistent block.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morgan's Garden.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	107074

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kim T View Post
    Carol,

How I feel your pain, quilting is supposed to be fun and not stressful!! I have scrapped some projects because of this issue, squaring up blocks for me was like my mom cutting my bangs. Square a little here ..oops we'll try that again until I had no block (or bangs) to speak of LOL.

I finally determined that my issue was with the Omni Grid rulers I was using not to mention my over 40 eyes. I just was not making accurate cuts because of the yellow on the ruler and thanks to a generous gift from my boss, I bought some Creative Grids rulers!. I cannot tell you how much of a difference they have made for me.

I made 14 blocks over the weekend for my DGD quilt and couldn't believe how consistent and accurate they were in size! Don't know if this could be part of your issue or not just a thought.

A picture of my consistent block.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morgan's Garden.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	107074
    LOL! My mom used to cut my bangs the same way. Thanks for the memories!!!
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

We all used to cut bangs that way! Poor kiddos who had to suffer while bangs grew back out. I have pics of some awful haircuts, myself. Our mom or a cousin used the bowl method. UGLY! LOL

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Having made a table runner with disappearing hour glass I'd square them up. There are some good tutorials on YouTube on how to do that.
    Good Luck.
    Susan Davis
    Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm making ANY quilt block that includes a half square triangle - I ALWAYS square up the HST's before proceeding any further. It makes everything else match up much better!

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by songbird857 View Post
    When I'm making ANY quilt block that includes a half square triangle - I ALWAYS square up the HST's before proceeding any further. It makes everything else match up much better!
    So if you watch Jenny's video, and after she has sewn all the HST together, I should square this up at this point before making any cuts that would make the disappearing hourglass, right?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolSmall View Post
    So if you watch Jenny's video, and after she has sewn all the HST together, I should square this up at this point before making any cuts that would make the disappearing hourglass, right?
    Actually, before you put the HST together - so you are squaring up each HST on its own.
    Consider this:
    When you begin, you put the two 10" squares together and sew all around - then cut into the HST's - Well, the chances of every HST being the same exact size is pretty small, with variances in your layer cake squares, and especially differences when cutting the diagonal lines through the squares! If your X is even 1/16 off, your HST's just won't be the same size; making a big difference in the end. If you take the time to square up each HST - then you KNOW that they are the same - so when you sew them together, you have a much more accurate hourglass to begin with - particularly important with this block Hope this helps...
    Last edited by songbird857; April 14th, 2015 at 09:26 AM.