Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What have I gotten myself into???!!!!

I think I'd want to spot treat one stain and see how the block does. I'd treat it and then lay it in a container with a bit of laundry soap dissolved in some cold water. When you're ready just agitate it gently with your hands and then rinse the block in cold water. Lay the soaking wet block in a towel and roll up the towel to absorb the excess water. That way you won't disturb the stitching of the seams. Allow to air dry.

If you stabilize, apply it to the whole block. I think your question regarding just stabilizing the thin fabric would be too fiddly and not very practical. No way would I try to hand quilt the quilt. It would take way too long. Once you reinforce with the stabilizer it should sew on the machine just fine. Certainly minimal quilting would be preferable.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; April 11th, 2015 at 07:10 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I wash cross stitch the way Donna suggested. It's a pretty gentle way to wash very delicate stitching.
    Kathe

Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's a project!! I like the fabrics you chose. I think they will work if you throw in some muslin, something light--because of the age and fading of the vintage blocks take a few with you since muslin comes in so many shades of white and cream nowadays.

I am not sure I would alternate the star blocks and stitched ones, even if you are able to equalize the size of the stitched ones with strips from your newly purchased fabric. How about just doing a row of the stitched blocks as the top row and bottom rows of your quilt? Did the owner specify she wanted her blocks alternating or is she leaving the layout up to you? You could also make the stitched blocks larger by putting a narrow strip, 1 or 1-1/2" on each side then a different color corner block for each square. You would almost need to cut up some newspapers + plain white paper to audition the finished sizes of these blocks just to see how many you need and if you have enough. I call that my paper bag method as I always do better with a visual sample to play with instead of just relying on the math, and it is much cheaper doing samples from paper than cutting up fabric.

I think you will just have to audition some possible combinations (just cut out but not sewed together) and stand by with your camera and then study your pictures. I think one of the layouts will appeal to you more than others and you will know it's "the one." I wish you luck! It sounds like a very challenging project but something very fun and personally rewarding to reuse those vintage blocks. And I apologize for posting such a very long response!!

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Very interested to see how it turns out and how the fabric holds up. This very day I was asked by someone to put together a quilt that her mother was working on before she died. I said of course I would look at it and if it wasn't beyond my *NEW QUILTER* capabilities, I would be happy to finish it for her.
    Blessings!

Donna

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hi ladies,

I want to give an update because we've started stitching! It's actually been a fun soothing time with a new friend! We're doing the blocks on point and using Pellon 906 interfacing for each block. It's not bad for handstitching either, so thankful for that.
    We're not using the original colors and went with 3 sisters Papillion and Whitewashed Cottage. Now just waiting for all the fabric to come in.

Also I did some research on the block and it's named Sarah's block which gives me goose bumps. The patchwork blocks were stitched by her great grandmother before Sarah was even a thought. When this up she just cried, so we're working on a 2x2 wall hanging with this story and the handwritten note that accompanied the blocks.

Below is where we are now. Each block will be trimmed to 11x11 and each cross-stitch block to 8x8 with an 1 1/2 border in 3 whitewashed cottage fabrics. With each block stabilized I am going to machine sew it together, sitd each block and bind it. Sarah and I will hand stitch after. I want to give her a "complete" quilt before they leave for Holland in july.
    I am so happy I didn't run from this like my first reaction. We have so much in common and she's a gentle soul who was lonely just like I was . Everything happens for a reason!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Handquilted Block.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	109136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sarah's Quilt.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	109137

6. Thanks alliek, Blondie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

April, you and Sarah are doing an amazing job.

I love on point (but am not fond of doing it) and it showcases the blocks so well.

Can't wait to see the finished quilt. BTW, did you launder the blocks?

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Granny Fran,

I laundered three of the worse blocks, but the stains were already set. The patchwork blocks are about 70 years, so the discoloration will just be part of its character!

: )april

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is looking great! You are right to be proud of your decision not to run from this project.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I can't wait to see this lovely quilt completed!!

Terri

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Well now, that is just wonderful!!! I'm so happy you decided to take on the challenge. Let's see a final when it's all finished, please. I'm glad the stabilizer is working out. I definitely think adding it was a good call.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.