Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: taking pictures in quilt stores

I don't understand people anymore. Her behavior was rude. If I was in her spot, I probably would have suggested going to the manufacture's page to see if they had a pattern already designed for the fabric.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Once again I read something here that makes me feel sad for the customers of that shop, but also makes me realize again what a blessing it is that I have a wonderful LQS just 10 miles from my house. Thanks for reminding me.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I had the totally opposite experience at my LQS. I asked to take a picture of fabric as I was making something for my daughter. They had me takes the picture at the cutting table so the light would be better! I am so fortunate to have such a great local store.
    Janet

"You cannot use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have."

Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

She did not provide good customer service. Most LQS's cannot sell material at the prices found online. But they offer services you cannot get online, and those services are often worth the extra amount for material.

With that being said, I do understand where she is coming from. I had a co-worker who would get all the information she needed from local home improvement companies, who took a lot of time to discuss solutions to her needs with her. Then she would go online and buy the materials at a lower price than what the local companies could offer.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

5. Thanks goofyizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patty J View Post
    Once again I read something here that makes me feel sad for the customers of that shop, but also makes me realize again what a blessing it is that I have a wonderful LQS just 10 miles from my house. Thanks for reminding me.

Me, too, Patty. I shop still the Fabric Shack, in Waynesville, Ohio... Nice people, and the shop carries tons of precuts, as well a seventy kind of fabric. I love it!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

This is really sad to say, but I have been confronted by the RUDEST women at quilt expos and quilt shops. I take special note of their shop names at shows, and local stores either in my area or out of the area, and I absolutely refuse to buy even one thing from them if they treated me rudely. I am the woman who will drop $200-$500 per visit in your store if I am inspired by the fabric, (and monetarily solvent lol) so excuse me if I am grievously offended by how rude you are when I have asstons of fabric in my arms. I literally dropped what would have been well over 500 birthday dollars worth of fabric on the floor of a quilt shop, when the OWNER of the business had a fit about my taking pics of fabric in the same fashion that you did. I get that small quilt shops are having issues, and I absolutely support local business, but not when you treat me like that. And I'm pretty tired of the no photos crap at quilt shows too...As if most quilters can't walk up and identify how you made something?!?! Give me a freaking break!! And to be completely honest, if local shops are trying to stay relevant, they need to get with the times, and open an online shop, and match prices of places like MSQC, Fabric.com, Connecting Threads for a few examples, if they want to stay in business...NOT doing that is only hurting their survival, along with the crap attitudes I've experienced of late. It's really disappointing that quilters behave this way. For that matter, it's disappointing to me that people treat people this way, not just quilt people. I mean I think it's a reasonable assumption that opening a quilt shop is a labor of love, so run your business that way...you know the way MSQC does. #quiltersrantoff Whew, I think I've had one too many run ins recently with rude quilty types, that was a little ranty!! lol

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started quilting, I drove eight mikes dilute, to Aunt Ruth's Scrapbasket, every chance I got. It was the best!

The shop was owned by Ruth, a retired nurse. I never left Ruth's shop without having learned something. Never.

Once, I casually mentioned that I would love to learn how to hand quilt. Ruth promptly sat me down behind the counter, and patiently taught me the basics.

The cutting table was in the middle if the shop... We would all gather there, to share our stories.. We laughed and cried around that table. It was a wonderful introduction to quilting for me... It was like a second home...

The shop is gone, now....a story for another time....but I still remember the kindness and yes...love...that was extended to me...and to many others within the walls of that shop. I miss it still...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

9. Thanks Granny Fran thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by easyquilts View Post
    When I first started quilting, I drove eight mikes dilute, to Aunt Ruth's Scrapbasket, every chance I got. It was the best!

The shop was owned by Ruth, a retired nurse. I never left Ruth's shop without having learned something. Never.

Once, I casually mentioned that I would love to learn how to hand quilt. Ruth promptly sat me down behind the counter, and patiently taught me the basics.

The cutting table was in the middle if the shop... We would all gather there, to share our stories.. We laughed and cried around that table. It was a wonderful introduction to quilting for me... It was like a second home...

The shop is gone, now....a story for another time....but I still remember the kindness and yes...love...that was extended to me...and to many others within the walls of that shop. I miss it still...
    That's a great story and that's how I want to be treated in a quilt shop. I think from now on, I'll just carry a little notebook and jot the mfgr info in the notebook. There is a little shop in my town that I quite like but I love to find new great spots. The one I mentioned here will likely not be gone to again, which is a pity because it's the next closest to my home and they really had a great selection. I typically spend $50-$100 a week in fabric so I promise that it's THEIR loss, not mine!

Sometimes I laugh so hard the tears run down my leg...

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry you have had a bad experience at quilt shows. I have always taken pictures of the quilts. I even had one helper hold the quilt so I could get a close up of a certain block. One of my LQS even will help with a display quilt if I need to see it closer and see what fabrics she used and then help me find them if they are still available. The owner Karen Montgomery owns The Quilt Company in Pgh. She also designs fabric for Treasure Bay and creates rulers for Creative Grid. But anytime I have a question and she is there she is very helpful and so are her clerks. I don't always buy a lot on some visits but I know I will be treated the same way when I come back h They have the greatest staff. Even her Hubby and son will help if needed. A real family affair. Hope you have a better experience the next time at a show.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scooter15650 View Post
    I am sorry you have had a bad experience at quilt shows. I have always taken pictures of the quilts. I even had one helper hold the quilt so I could get a close up of a certain block. One of my LQS even will help with a display quilt if I need to see it closer and see what fabrics she used and then help me find them if they are still available. The owner Karen Montgomery owns The Quilt Company in Pgh. She also designs fabric for Treasure Bay and creates rulers for Creative Grid. But anytime I have a question and she is there she is very helpful and so are her clerks. I don't always buy a lot on some visits but I know I will be treated the same way when I come back h They have the greatest staff. Even her Hubby and son will help if needed. A real family affair. Hope you have a better experience the next time at a show.
    I've actually never been to a quilt SHOW, but I am planning to attend my first in Duluth in a couple months!!!

Sometimes I laugh so hard the tears run down my leg...