Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need your help, suggestions, ideas.. ect

If you could come up with a simplified double wedding ring that is not appliqué and won't make me rip out my hair, I think you'd have a line around the block.

I like to make lap size or bigger quilts. And by lap I mean at least big enough that I can snuggle under it while lying on my couch.

I'm very badly behaved when it comes to using stash.... I have shiny object syndrome whenever I see a new line.

And I still love the quilt in your avatar ;-)
    Kathe

Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My final thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
    I understand that the machine I want is expensive, but I am also not poor. I was told (by my DH) that if I wanted this machine, it was not going to come out of the household income and that it would not come out of the savings and it would not be put onto any credit card or account to be paid off with interest till the end of time. (If that wasn't the case, I would have it already!) I was told that I had to earn the money to buy this machine, so that is what I am trying to do with my patterns.
    Um . . . . I am close to speechless. Just curious, though. What does your husband do when he wants something new?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have to add . . . if my husband talked to me like that, I would indeed find a way to "earn" the money to buy the machine. I'm thinking the first place I'd try is Craigslist where I would advertise my goods in the garage sale section . . . and I'd described them along the lines of "Guy Stuff" . . . and include pictures of Golf Clubs, Fishing Stuff, Boat, Motorcycle, Tools, 60" TV, stereo equipment, expensive lawnmower, cadillac snowblower, etc. etc. Heck, I'd even sell the new shed he had to have to house all that stuff. I'm sure you could get a long way towards your machine taking his advice in just one weekend!

Good luck!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
    Um . . . . I am close to speechless. Just curious, though. What does your husband do when he wants something new?
    HE asks me.... we have an agreement . . anything over $250.00, we consult each other. This purchase is the equivalent to a new car, so yes, he has a big say in it. When I say "I was told" we agreed, after looking at the household budget, that if I wanted to do this, I was going to have to do it on my own. Don't get me wrong, for the most part, he doesn't tell me what I can and can't do, but for this purchase, where it would cause a big impact on the household budget, he acted like the head of the family and put his foot down. After 32 years of marriage, I am going to respect that foot!
    Just One More Yard - Blog
    Just One More Yard - Craftsy

A clean house is the sign of a broken sewing machine!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
    I have to add . . . if my husband talked to me like that, I would indeed find a way to "earn" the money to buy the machine. I'm thinking the first place I'd try is Craigslist where I would advertise my goods in the garage sale section . . . and I'd described them along the lines of "Guy Stuff" . . . and include pictures of Golf Clubs, Fishing Stuff, Boat, Motorcycle, Tools, 60" TV, stereo equipment, expensive lawnmower, cadillac snowblower, etc. etc. Heck, I'd even sell the new shed he had to have to house all that stuff. I'm sure you could get a long way towards your machine taking his advice in just one weekend!

Good luck!
    You have to also understand, he doesn't say no to me very often, and I mean that seriously, I have pushed when I thought it was outside the bounds and he still says yes, this is a money issue, not that I cant have it issue, that's all it is. He would like nothing more than to see me have this machine!

So...
    He does't golf or fish
    No boat, or motorcycle
    Sell his tools, nope not going there...
    We don't have a 60" TV and I wouldn't sell that if I had it
    No stereo equipment
    Landscape is rock (we live in AZ) No need for a lawnmower
    No snow-blower, for the reason above
    His Cadillac is his 1978 Alfa Romeo Spider...I have quilting, he has his car.

We do have 2 Theater Organs and one of those is going and we inhered a large collection of antique china and glass ware, so that will be listed soon.

We are pretty much down to things that mean only something to us, not anyone else. The only thing left that would really mean something to anyone is my fabric stash, and like his tools.. not going there....
    Just One More Yard - Blog
    Just One More Yard - Craftsy

A clean house is the sign of a broken sewing machine!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need your help, suggestions, ideas.. ect

I actually forgot I had an Etsy store too. It was my first one. They wouldn't let you change your name so I opened a new one. But I was getting emails with a $5 billing. I was like I paid that already. Then lol

Blocks I like, humm. I'm not so much into quilts that have so much white. They seem to be all over the place though.

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
    . . . he acted like the head of the family and put his foot down. After 32 years of marriage, I am going to respect that foot!
    After 35 years of marriage, my husband wouldn't have a foot if he tried that with me.

I do hope you are able to find a way to get a machine. I know you don't want a used one or to settle for less than what you ultimately want, but perhaps you should consider trying to step your way up to it. $19,000 is a lot of money to try and save before you get anything, and the price is just going to keep rising while you are trying to save up.

Perhaps you could work out a plan where you settle for something less now, start long arming for $$, save your money, and then trade up. You might have to do that more than once. Get your husband to sit down with you and HELP you work out a plan that you can both live with.

Edit: And since you are BOTH working, surely at least a portion of your earnings (and even your savings) could go towards purchasing a machine. You should check out Janome -- they have interest free financing. You could pay it off as quick as you want.

Again, good luck.
    Last edited by kaydee; April 4th, 2015 at 01:05 PM.