Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need your help, suggestions, ideas.. ect

The only thing I know is about funding sites is that guy that got a ton of money for potato salad. But getting a machine to start a business seems reasonable to me. Sorry I can't help you out there, but I need new carpet. lol

Lorie

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with above. If you want to sell patterns, they must offer something that I can't figure out on my own. Plus there are free sites on the internet that will give you instructions on how to do mitered corners. Granted I have not viewed your method...I may be missing something. Have to also agree with post above. If you want to sell a pattern, it must appeal to many people. Your fabric choices must be something they like (quite often this is a fabric line that is new or popular)....a lot of people just can't visualize what it will look like in the fabrics they like.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the go fund me and it was put there almost as a dare ya. The pattern IS for basic newbies, that is why I don't understand. Your right, I have been sewing for 30 plus years also wouldn't buy the pattern but it wasn't designed for someone of my experance level either. Maybe some different wording in the title to say that is for beginners..
    I am working on the directions for the quilt in my avatar. It is called Lovely Dresden. For some, they may think they can figure it out... but there are some hidden secrets in the cutting and piecing to make it all work.
    I also wanted to mention, just because someone owns a long arm, doesn't mean they are quilting for others.......
    Just One More Yard - Blog
    Just One More Yard - Craftsy

A clean house is the sign of a broken sewing machine!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am half tempted to put my weight loss story up there and see if someone would pay for my skin reduction surgery like the guy that did it and got $18,000 in 24 hours! (I have lost 40 pounds since November and skin is hanging everywhere.. TMI) but I am to scared to get the surgery and I would use the money on quilt frames
    I'm stunned! I'm having a serious problem with your willingness to be deceitful, if you could get away with it, in order to get your machine. I don't have a problem with GoFund Me, they say a fool and his money are soon parted and if you're a fool then go for it.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the thing. If you really want something bad enough you will figure out a way. Being poor with an expensive hobby you make do with what you have. A $19,000 machine seems like a lot of money if you don't have the cash. Why not find something more affordable that will do the trick. Perhaps used. I would cringe if I bought my teenager who just got their license a Cadillac when it is not affordable to me. He would be just as happy with a used car that did not cost so much.

Now I will probably offend a lot of people with what I am going to say. If you got fat and lost weight, Good for you! But you got to that point with no one else's help, so why would people on a funding site want to pay for a skin reduction surgery? And then you have the nerve to say you are tempted to use the funded money to get your machine. There are people who are starving and homeless in this country. I say work hard to get what you want, entitlement will never make you appreciate your own hard work!

Last edited by Deegles; March 26th, 2015 at 08:16 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Deegles,
    Well said. Nothing needs be added to it, you said it beautifully

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't buy the pattern either. I love to look at a pattern and figure it out and do it myself. I don't know that Craftsy or Etsy are the places to sell beginner patterns. Back when I was a beginner, I went to my LQS and looked at the books and patterns they had. I got the Turning Twenty pattern, but the Yellow Brick Road was suggested.

You have a passion for teaching others - you like to make patterns and you did the mystery quilts here. Why not take that and sell yourself to a LQS? I took several classes in the beginning. They taught me hands on, I could ask questions, and it's a great way to meet others. A lady in one of the beginner classes has moved on to teaching classes at a LQS and is doing so well she's asked me to help. You could teach in the evenings after work or on the weekends.

8. Thanks Nimknit thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That's so funny Carol - I did exactly the same. Bought Turning Twenty when a yellow Brick Road was recommended...lol. I have both now but still haven't made that YBR...

I think Carol has another good point. Beginners are going to find a store, ask for their recommendations, maybe take a class or two. They're most likely not going to find their way to Craftsy's quilting section. I completely agree with the idea of selling your services to an LQS or two. I would definitely take a class from a pattern designer on something like your avatar photo. As a beginner, I might have taken the class if the description included the statement that I would learn no-fail miters. You could be successful with this.

Another point - I make jewelry for a living. I used to try to keep my prices low. I never sold anything and I was so frustrated! I nearly tripled my prices...in other words, placed a VALUE on my own work...and now I sell like crazy. Nobody will value your work enough to buy it if they perceive that YOU don't think it has any worth. Same goes for selling your patterns and your quilts.

Final note - just as a little tidbit... for skin surgery, you have to lose at least 45-50 percent of your body weight to even be considered by a reputable doctor... sorry. I would love to have it too and I've lost 75 pounds. No dice
    Kathe

Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snippet View Post
    I wouldn't buy the pattern either. ...
    You have a passion for teaching others - you like to make patterns and you did the mystery quilts here. Why not take that and sell yourself to a LQS? I took several classes in the beginning. They taught me hands on, I could ask questions, and it's a great way to meet others. A lady in one of the beginner classes has moved on to teaching classes at a LQS and is doing so well she's asked me to help. You could teach in the evenings after work or on the weekends.
    With all the kindness in my heart, and remembering the M* saying "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" I would not purchase the pattern either. With the power of the internet there are a multitude of free patterns out there. Jenny offers a free video tutorial every single week A pattern has to be really special for me to purchase it.

I agree with the suggestion to build on your quilting teaching skills to raise money. You have so many options. Didn't you use EQ to design the Lovey Dresden quilt? How about teaching EQ, either group classes or one on one private lessons. How about having a class at the LQS on your Lovely Dresden with all your special tips and tricks. How about a class on fabric selection. What about selling kits for the Lovely Dresden. Who knows, some day you may be teaching a class at Craftsy instead of selling patterns there.

You have gifts. Don't give up. You just need to figure out how to market and sell what gifts you have.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Fabriclovr,
    I just took a minute to look at the quilts in your photo album - wow! I agree with what others have said here - You have a lot of talent, and a great eye for color - I'm not sure if your spring baby quilt conveys that as well as it should. I love the idea of you getting into a LQS to teach a class. Seriously, I would take your class if you were teaching the quilt in your avatar