Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Math Help 2 questions

Hi all you math geniuses out in Jennyland
    I am using a bunch of charm sq in a quilt top making a lot of hourglass blocks. I am squaring up to 4" which means 3.5" for finished size. I'm going to need a gazillion blocks bc the size is so small but that's not my math question.

I think I want to use HST for a dramatic border but I.don't know how big to make them so they will be in the right proportion to the blocks. Also the top isn't finished yet so do know the final measurements. Should I have that number first and then divide it mathematically by size of HST blocks so the numbers come out even? I'm not sure how to do this. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Math Help 2 questions

I hope someone gives you a great answer.

My hubby goes- there is no method to my madness. I lay the quilt on the bed and see what pops into my head. Then go from there. Case in point- my current wip- I'm working on the fourth border right now. Hopefully, maybe just one more after that.

Katrina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks but I'm sure hoping not to have to go down that road again with this. I started this quilt 4 other times with diff colorways, I am in way too far to start over and I don't wanna repeat the process with the border!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I think I want to use HST for a dramatic border but I.don't know how big to make them so they will be in the right proportion to the blocks. Also the top isn't finished yet so do know the final measurements. Should I have that number first and then divide it mathematically by size of HST blocks so the numbers come out even? I'm not sure how to do this. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    What do you mean "in the right proportion to the blocks"?

Also: do you have a pattern or picture of the quilt top?
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's the Broken Dishes quilt. I am sorry I don't have any pictures. What I meant about proportion, is the blocks are so small, 3.5"-- so should my HST be in the 3-4" range, or could I go to 6" or will that look out of whack with such small blocks. I would make them Jenny's way, put 2 sqs together RST iron a crease on the diagonal then stitch 1/4" on each side of the crease then cut in half once. Maybe I am bad at explaining this?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I think the formula you need is:

Finished HST size + 7/8"

A 3 1/2 " finished HST needs a 3 4/8" + 7/8" square to start with. Or 4 3/8" starting block.

However... A good "cheater" method, especially if you are afraid you will stretch the triangles on the bias would be to start larger, say wonderful 5" charms, and then square them Up to 4" after the fact!

Woops, sorry. Just saw this wasn't your question. I'm not sure what size would look correct with your pattern.
    Last edited by LoveMyMachines; March 24th, 2015 at 11:43 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to have the top done, then figure out the border. The method LoveMyMachines described will make HST the same size as your finished blocks. I agree with her that making them a bit bigger and then squaring up would be best.
    ~Louise

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
    George Eliot

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    It's the Broken Dishes quilt. I am sorry I don't have any pictures. What I meant about proportion, is the blocks are so small, 3.5"-- so should my HST be in the 3-4" range, or could I go to 6" or will that look out of whack with such small blocks. I would make them Jenny's way, put 2 sqs together RST iron a crease on the diagonal then stitch 1/4" on each side of the crease then cut in half once. Maybe I am bad at explaining this?
    Just refreshed myself w/ the broken dishes tut. If you are using HST in the border also, I don't think it matters what size they are -- certainly not have to be the same size as the ones in the blocks.

Let us know what you decide. Best wishes.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are making the Broken Dishes block, even though each hourglass will be small, go by the overall size of a finished block when you decide how large to make your border blocks. It's personal preference when deciding on border size, but normally I make mine about 2/3 the size of the blocks. If I had a 9" block I would probably make the outer border 6". If something larger or smaller looks and 'feels' better to you, go with it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my recommendation (please ignore if you disagree)

Do not make HSTs for the border. You are making hourglass blocks as the main quilt top and lots of them.
    Keep the border simple, preferably a solid color. That way the quilt has a definite focus - on the hourglass blocks. In my opinion the HSTs in the borders will clutter the look, and take the focus away from the main pattern.
    By making simple borders, you will also reduce your work and finish quickly.

Once again, that is how I would do...you can disregard it.