Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lattice quilt

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Question lattice quilt

I would like to make the lattice quilt for a king size bed. I'm an intermediate quilter and would like to know how to increase the pattern in the "Block" book and also how to calculate the fabric I will need. Thanks in advance your help.

Karin

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: lattice quilt

Sorry I can't give you exact numbers. I don't have that issue. If you measure your bed, to determine how large you'd like the quilt...then you can find the difference in the pattern's finished size and what you want. Add as many rows as it takes to get your measurement.
    If you need help figuring fabric requirements after that, I'm sure we can help you out.

3. Thanks KarinM thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That would be my suggestion as well, I would just add additional rows. One of those great math people will come along soon if not.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on the lattice quilt right now from the Block magazine but I am doing the throw size. It's very easy to expand this pattern to any size needed. You need to start by determining the size of quilt you want to make and customize it to what you want to do with your quilt. Moda Bake Shop has charts that will help you start. Measure your mattress top dimensions. Measure the depth of your mattress. Measure additional drop you want to cover the space either to the floor or to overlap a dust ruffle. Ditto the foot of the bed, accounting for any footboard/no footboard. Ditto the top edge - do you want the quilt to tuck in beneath the pillows or just lie flat with pillows on top. I make a drawing and write in all the measurements as I take them. Then you can add up everything and determine the size. Sorry if this is too obvious to you, but I'm not sure from your question exactly what help you need.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I have the paper pattern I ordered by itself. I think the dimensions are wrong though as it says it will come out to 93x106 but mine is not even close (more like 65ishx70ish) and I believe the stated size on the pattern is wrong. Can anyone tell me what sizes are in the block magazine pattern? I was planning to make this for my queen sized bed, but as it is, it will definitely not work and every time I try to do the math to figure out how much to add I get different numbers. (I'm a musician not a mathematician :-P)
    Last edited by sunshine9807; April 8th, 2015 at 01:44 AM. Reason: commas are our friends

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The quilt listed in the Block mag is a lap quilt. Dimensions are 67 x 71 using 4 charm packs, sounds like yours is right.
    Vernona

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you tell me which issue and what page, I can help you figure out how to enlarge it.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's in the very first issue, but I'm not positive. I just have the single pattern I ordered last fall. I didn't know if the BLOCK pattern had different sizes listed or not. I have some of the other issues where there is sometimes info on making other sizes.

I haven't been quilting long enough to realize the amount of fabric the pattern was telling me to buy was just not going to make the size quilt it said it would. I've really only made a few crib sized quilts up 'til now.
    Last edited by sunshine9807; April 8th, 2015 at 02:33 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Okay... I found it. Let me start by saying, You must be a glutton for punishment to do this in a King. LOL.

The pattern in the Block finishes at 71 X 67. That is just big enough to cover a Double Bed with some hang down. I have some that are 93 X 93 and they cover a queen, but on a double they hang down nicely. Today's mattress's are so tall.

So... if this will cover a Double and a King is 88 X 115 for my bed. I just made one.

So you will be adding at least double in everything you buy if you ask me. I made a sashed 9 patch for a queen that hung almost to the floor, perfect for a King and it took 8 charm packs. I believe you will need that much at least, and about 1 more yard for the border.

You may want to get 9 charm packs to be safe, I often get a bit extra of what I am using, if I have leftovers, I like to make Pillow shams or toss pillows to match the quilt.

To recap... you will need at least 8 charm packs, maybe nine, 2 Honey Buns (and maybe a bit of matching yardage to be safe) and at least 2 yards for your outer border.

I'm no pro... these numbers are just based on my experience.
    Last edited by kensington; April 8th, 2015 at 02:34 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine9807 View Post
    I have the paper pattern I ordered by itself. I think the dimensions are wrong though as it says it will come out to 93x106 but mine is not even close (more like 65ishx70ish) and I believe the stated size on the pattern is wrong. Can anyone tell me what sizes are in the block magazine pattern? I was planning to make this for my queen sized bed, but as it is, it will definitely not work and every time I try to do the math to figure out how much to add I get different numbers. (I'm a musician not a mathematician :-P)
    If the pattern makes the same one in the Block, and I think it does, it is not big enough for a Queen. That must be a misprint. How many charm packs did you buy or cut? The one in Block calls for 4. So, if you have used 4, you are making a double. I personally like to upsize everything, because I like hangover on my quilts.