Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default FMQ on domestic machine help

Most of you know that I hand quilt. I do like to FMQ on smaller projects like placemats, some hand bags, etc. Here is my dilemma. My machine skips stitches and hops around. In an effort to figure out why, I have changed the needle, thread and stitch length. It is still doing it. This makes me wonder if it could be the spray basting I use. I have been using a can I purchased from Walmart - can't remember the name but it is in a blue and white can. I used up all my 505 and am tempted to break the piggy bank for another can just to see if it could be that.
    Does anyone know why it is doing this?
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FMQ on domestic machine help

Hi Blondie: I have never had an issue with skipped stitches due to spray baste. Your issue could be the type of needle you're using. Try using a topstitch needle. That is all I use when I FMQ.
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Martha, I did use a top stitch needle. I noticed some "gumming" on the needle which is what prompted me to think about the spray baste. Never had that issue before.
    Sewing mends the soul.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you with the skipping and hopping, but having used both 505 and the one from wally-world, Dritz I think (blue/white can and stinky big time!) I did notice a difference in how the baste performed/behaved and did not like the Dritz at all. So much so that with the smaller quilts I recently finished I pin basted them (I'm NOT a pinner) because I had run out of 505 and did not want to use the Dritz again... even though the can is nearly full.
    Soon as Joann's had the 505 on sale again, I ordered the super large can and it just arrived.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Blondie. I am not an expert but I think it is highly improbable that the basting spray is causing skipped stitches and hopping around. Is there any pattern to the skipped stitches, like it only happens when you are going a particular direction or doing a particular motion? Any chance you are using a cone thread and it is intermittently getting stuck on something?
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not even close to being an expert on FMQ. I have however had the issues you are talking about. I don't believe it is the spray baste. I use Dritz, very sparingly I might add, so I don't think it is that. When ever I have had this problem, I take the face plate off and thoroughly clean under there. It also have noticed it seems to happen more frequently when the bobbin is close to running out. I also don't go pedal to the metal when doing it either. Wish I could be of more help. Waiting to see what the experts have to say.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do fmq on a domestic machine but I have discovered that on my midarm I get skipped stitches when I move the machine too fast (particularly when I move the machine in the opposite direction it would normally want to sew) and also when my batting goes over a "lump" lump in it. I made the mistake of piecing some batting where the ends overlapped each other a little.

I don't know if this type of thing would also translate to FMQ on domestics though.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

First, here is where I order my 505 from as it is the cheapest place I have found (joann's here doesn't have it.) 505 Temporary Adhesive Spray - Large Can - GROUND ONLY

I would say if your needle is gummy that could cause the skipped stitches. If there is lint build up in the bobbin area that can cause it. A dull needle can cause it. Moving your hands faster than the machine is running can cause it (remember faster machine, slower hands.) Sometimes the bobbin doesn't wind as tight and that can cause issues too. I try to hold my thread a little tighter when winding my bobbins for FMQing to make sure they wind evenly and tight.

If none of that helps, maybe it's the way you are holding your tongue.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's the basting spray...I used the Dritz for awhile and I always let it sit for 24 hrs. before quilting because it seemed like the needle was snagging if I didn't let it dry.

"May there always be work for your hands to do"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Ladies for all your input. I think it will be an ongoing method of trial and elimination until I find the right source. I kinda think it is the basting spray and not moving my hands too fast or the other items listed. Perhaps I got a bad can of it.
    Blessings to each.
    Sewing mends the soul.

~ Madeleine L'Engle